I need help - Is my tank too small for a pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evelyncm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just Baught a medium Pleco cat today at big als in Toronto. I am very worried now because online it says that they cannot live in 10 gallon tanks which is what I have. Can my Pleco survive in my ten gallon???? It’s about the size of my pointer finger.

Attachments

• 2E1112A2-EE95-4C81-9253-A97CA486F2F6.jpg
    2E1112A2-EE95-4C81-9253-A97CA486F2F6.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 48
  • BECB9AB9-95EA-4786-A234-307B1B473CC3.jpg
    BECB9AB9-95EA-4786-A234-307B1B473CC3.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 24
Most Plecos need large tank (Ex: Common Plecos need at LEAST a 75 gallon [about 284 litres] tank as they can grow to about 12 inches long) Bristlenoses on the other hand only grow up to about 5 or 6 inches and need a 20-30 gallons [about 75-113.5 litres] minimum for them. The smallest Pleco grows to about 2 inches and is called the Gold Spot Dwarf Pleco. It is good for a 10-15 gallon [about 38-57 litres] tank.

Instead of Plecos you could try other bottom dwelling fish such as Corydora Catfish, Amano Shrimp, Otocinclus Catfish, or Kuhli Loaches. These all a stay fairly small and should fish in your tank.

The pleco may also increase the bioload more than the 10 gallon tank can handle, e.g., they are heavy poopers. You could keep him foe a while as he grows. Just keep a check on your water parameters as he gets larger. But at some point, you may have to swap him out.

Yes that is in fact too small. What you have is called a common plecostomus. Reaching 12 inches and larger, if it didnt kill your fish with its insane ammonia output due to massive waste it would eventually eat all of your fish that you should house in a 10 gallon. Thats ignoring the fact that the pleco has armored scales and isnt very flexible so after it gets about 6 inches long it wont even be able to turn around. I could list more reasons and problems with housing this baby pleco but I think you get it. Definitely return the fish and if you're set on an algae eater try snails or perhaps shrimp or even otos (chinese algae eaters).

Last edited by a moderator:
They get huge. I've seen one get at least 9" living in a 20g with a large guppy colony. Otos would be a better idea for a 10g, or some type of algae eating snail, or some Amano Shrimp.

If it is a common pleco, do yourself and the fish a favor, return it or give it to someone with a big tank. I've seen 20-inch plecos inside a 55g and it is not a good thing.

FWIW..
For a 10 gal tank, instead of the Pleco you can have 3 or 4 Cory cats and a few few small tetras.
This would a make a much more interesting and sensible tank. :)

Yah the pleco is not going to work out. I currently have a 14 inch common in a 135 gallon he’s a monster and a mess trying to give him away currently don’t make my mistake get some oto cats!

Back
Top Bottom