I need help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcmcoker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a tank that is approx. 6 months old. It's a 36gal fowlr with 40 lbs of live rock 2 clowns and a sleeper banded goby. Until 2 weeks ago it was just using a hob floss filter and the t8 light it came with. I decided it was time to get into reefing so 2 weeks ago I installed 2 800gph power heads, a hob skimmer, a quad t5 ho fixture and a ro/di unit. That's when all hell broke loose. A little back story, prior to all the new toys everything had been going along fine with the tank. No real algae aside from a small amount of diatoms. Ammonia 0,nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, phosphate .36. I knew that in order for the tank to be coral ready that the trates and phates needed to come down and expected with the addition of the skimmer and power heads they would. Now that I've had everything in place for two weeks my nitrates have come down to 2, and phosphates
.16. I know this is still not ideal but at least an improvement. The reason for the post is over the past week green hair algae and cyno have appeared and are getting worse by the day and I can't figure out why. I have cut back on feeding and I also run carbon and gfo in my floss filter Help please!!!

If there is no corals yet you can turn down the lights or use the T8 lights back until those algae die down. You to get some clean up crew like 5 turbo snails and 5 hermit crabs. You also need to manually remove those hair algae with suction when doing pwc. You can also put the LR inside a bucket with water from tank and use tooth brush.

Tank is still breaking in at 6 months old you will see algae come and go IMO just watch your feeding and lighting schedules ensure tank has no dead spots and suck out what you can during water changes

Back
Top Bottom