i need some advice about sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
we need a little more info .. and if you need to ask about sharks your probably not ready to own a real shark. if your talking freshwater its personal preference .

Well I already had 6 black tip shark before but I had to give them up bcuz I have kids now and I want to get more but not 1 that getts big to bit off a finger lol I seen rainbow sharks and red tail but I want more ppls opinions on with 1 they think is kool and not 1 that looks like a fish like some lady try to sell me black fin catfish shark lol

Oh...Sharks brings up a lot of confusion round here. There are actually people who own actual sharks. I prefer "cleverly marketed cyprinids". Anyways...I doubt any freshwater fish that doesn't have teeth or jaws the size of an alligator's will be able to bite anyone's finger off. It's up to preference and what size tank you have...which leads me to : what size tank do you have? How long has it been set up?

If you want fish go to fish gallery near kirby or aquarium planet(I think I have the name wrong...I was just there today too lol) off of the northwest freeway...

Ah..it's Aquarium world. Anyways. It's an amazing shop. They actually MAKE you take a water test if you want any of their delicate fish.

Whoa whoa whoa slow down. The sharks you described are NOT salt water. They are freshwater. And they AREN'T really sharks. They are Cyprinids. Bony fish, osteoicthys! Not cartilaginous. Live sand is for SW live rock is for SW. Let's start all over here. When you say shark what names are you thinking about?

Additionally, no one is going to sell you a salt water shark unless it's already half dead in some unscrupulous dealer's tank with only a 55 gal. Saltwater sharks are one of those thigns that belong in the ocean...not the aquarium.

edit: okay after parsing that closer...you had 6 black tip reef sharks...a shark I've caught fishing in galveston...a shark that gets 6 feet long...a shark that I pulled up that was 3' long....in a 55 gallon tank. I'm sorry but no, you cannot have a shark of any kind. Multiply your tank volume by 10 or 100 and we'll talk.

I really don't have sympathy for someone who wants to keep sharks. They are cool. But they are cool because they are in the ocean.

That kool but I see this black shark T this shop down my street I'm go tomorrow to check the health and how there tanks look on the other fish tanks to make sure they take good care of them

No. Do not get the shark. Especially not a black tip reef. You're from houston. You should realize they get 6 foot long. They AREN'T for aquariums. NO shark should suffer in a 55 gallon no matter how small.

If you want predators how about an eel or small lion fish?

I have sw black tip sharks but I didn't let them get big bcuz I had my daughter and I didn't want any thing to go wrong so I call this place that take care of them to release them

...Okay problems are just piling up now.

1.) It is illegal to release any aquarium wildlife (taken from the wild or otherwise) back into the wild.

2.) You should NOT get black tip reef sharks they get too large, produce too much waste for a 55 gallon and will only cause problems. Any type of shark is too big for a 55 gallon. Please, do the fish a favor..don't buy them.

We had a member keep a certain species of shark (which will not be named) that only got to 1' long and he had a 300gallon which he himself thought was insufficient. Think of the animals before anything else.

I knw we fought them at gtwn long time ago we use to caught stupid and dangers stuff like big snapping turtles and water mockensens and yes I did realize how big they would get we did take them to this place that takes care of them but I bet they wont lesions that why I'm not getting a big shark but I've seem some on line that look like sharks but Idk if they r like the red tail shark I knw that's a fish but I looks kool if I'm getting a fish ill get the right stuff for it

You fought sharks??? Maybe you should stay away from the wildlife....

Oh lol I am a newbie here but I thought in order to have a shark you need one of those in house aquariums that hold like 1000 gallons?

Yes I do think on the animals I have so many from dog to snake to fish I do my research before buying any thing I'm also buying my daughter a small turtle I respect live of any kind and I'm not going to get soming thing that will stress out in a small environment

:popcorn: Wow!

Ok, when I see a thread relating to sharks, I immediately assume that they are referring to sharks like; Red Tail, Bala, Rainbow, etc.

OP: I have a beautiful Red Tail Shark in my 55 gallon freshwater. Although technically he's not a "shark", he patrols like one, will max out at 7" when full grown, and um, doesn't eat the other fish. ;)

Just a thought, but maybe you should start small. I agree w/ the others that a 55 gallon is not an adequate size for a real shark. Not to mention it is extremely inhumane to confine a wild shark in a home tank.

I found the 1 I want I'm get a iridescent shark it only gets to be 12" but I might need to get a bigger tank

I don't know where you got your info about them only reaching a foot long, but you might want to read more about them first...

Fish Profile for Iridescent Shark, Pangasius Catfish (Pangasius hypophthalmus, Pangasianodon hypophthalmus, Helicophagus hypophthalmus)

Scientific Name(s): Pangasius hypophthalmus, Pangasianodon hypophthalmus, Helicophagus hypophthalmus

Common Name(s): Iridescent Shark, Pangasius Catfish

Family: Pangasiidae

Species Type: Asian Loaches/Catfish

Maximum Size: 48 inches

Life Span: 20 years

Natural Habitat: Asian rivers

Minimum Tank Size: 2000 gallons

Tank Region: Bottom

Possible Tank Mates: This species is not suitable for aquariums of any size due to their adult size.

Description: They are difficult fish to care for, despite their being easy to acquire. They grow very large, and easily outgrow even large tanks. As they are fairly active swimmers, they need a lot of open space in their tank. Floating plants seem to reduce this fish's nervousness, as they provide shade. Bright lighting is unnecessary and even harmful, as it will make the fish skittish. The iridescent shark can be purchased in an albino form and an artificially dyed form. The dyeing process is very harmful to the fish and should not be supported. These fish can be quite nervous are easily spooked, and have very bad eyesight. Not recommended for home aquaria because of the large size they attain.

Back
Top Bottom