I need suggestions for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well i am new to the forum and glad to be here...Well i have owned fish for years and am no rookie (never salt though sadly). I just bought a custom corner 90 gallon or 100 gallon corner bowfront tank off craiglist (not sure which). It needs some work so it will be awhile tell i even have it up and cycling. It has a overflow on it and i plan to be making a homemade sump filter. What i need are suggestions on what to put in it.I have 2 other tanks. I have a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon. The 20 gallon had a gourami and a bichir in it, and the 10 gallon has a kribinsis, 2 corydoras, 1 pleco, and 2 upside down catfish. I want to combine the tanks but as you all should know is that there is a good chance my 6" bichir would make a meal out of the corydoras and those small upside down catfish, and probaly would find my krib quite tasty too once big enough. So they are kinda uncompatable. So either way i have to get rid of fish because i only want 1 tank with this one being so big.I love community tanks but i have never had the tank size to do large fish. This is where i need suggestions. Do i do large fish or community tank? Also I need suggestions on what to put in the tank?I went to myfishtank.com and posted this and its been over a week and nobody responded. So please prove to me that this forum is 10x better.

I'm not terribly familiar with bichirs, but from what I read they pretty much each anything they can fit in their mouths. So that would rule out keeping cories with them. You would have to go with one or the other in the new tank. If you go with cories you should get more of the same species. At least 7+. That would leave room for more bottom feeders. Could be more of the same species, different cories, or maybe some type of loach.
The other fish may be okay with the bichir. Although given the chance I'm sure they would be eaten as well.
If you go with community you could do a few different schools of tetras or danios.
You really have a lot of possibilities with that tank size. You'll have to decided whether or not you want the bichir first though.

I will probally end up getting rid of the bichir. He is just not compatible with any of my other fish. Besides i have always wanted to get like 20+ cories and watch them school together swarming the bottom of my tank. Even thoug i could only see me only getting like 10. My only issues is that i can not ever think of any REALLY facinating communtiy fish. All i can think of putting in it is gouramis, danios, tetras, angelfish, corydoras, rams, rainbows, and kribinsis (yes, i know thats alot already). I really like exotic species that are not seen very often in home aquariums. This is were i need suggestions.

The only issue with dicus is tht i hear that they require a species tank and should only be put with things like tetras. But thats a idea. As for rainbows is i have issues finding them in my area.

Discus are the most magestic fish an aquarist can keep in my opinion. Extremely shy and very beautiful. Just make sure you research them a lot, as they are very sensitive as well...but worth it!

I didn't realize how limited a community tank was. That is kind of dippreasing. O well, i will just have fun with it and see what i come up with i guess. thanks for the suggestions you guys.

I have a 115G with Malawi cichlids. They have a wide range of colors and are a very hardy and active fish that are a ton of fun to watch. They grow to about 5 or 6 inches depending on the type and are readily available in most LFS's and also big chain pet stores for about 5 or 6 buck each. Check out some of the links in the cichlid forum and see what you think. One of the threads is about my "new 115G cichlid tank-what you think". Its a pretty entertaining read and will show you how nice my tank looks now with all the different colors of fish. Just my 2 cents....

I thought of a idea just now. What if i make pillars out of pvc and cover them in some sort of moss and stand them straight up to the serface. It would be kinda be like pillars of moss in the tank. I would be cool seeing the fish swim in between them.Imageshack - wkak - Uploaded by BlueBlur the bad drawing..

You should get a few more kribensis =), ive got a breeding pair and they have such characters when looking after the fry =)

I actually was planning that. I want to see if i can get a albino female, I like albinos. I already have a male. I would also like to have a breeding pair of rams. Except i have to decide between Blue ram, German blue ram, Asian ram, Butterfly cichlid, Ramirez's dwarf cichlid, Dwarf butterfly cichlid and Ramirezi. I like them all.
Now when it comes to the towers of moss i have incountered 1 issue and have another idea about them. #1 i have run into the issue of keeping in sunk and standing straight up, which the next idea is cool but make it harder. Any ideas? #2 I could screw some holes in the middle of the PVC and put a air stone under the PVC so that bubbles come out of the sides and come out of the moss. Now i also need to decide what kind of moss i am going to have on them (star, christmas, and all the others).

That would be a idea worth considering. I read that 2 male bettas are successfully put in tanks together that are large. Such as a 75 gallon. But every time i do a tank this large i have large fish never a community tank. Do you think that it would successfully work? Also if this works i want to put some females in with them. How many do you think i need to keep the bettas to not fight over females? :) Also i am planning to do a home made wet/dry filter. Any suggestions? Also, i saw elephant fish in a book and as for as i could tell they don't eat smaller fish in the tank, do they? THey look really interesting.

i would plant it all up with different levels getting higher as you go toward the back corner. use rock and wood to keep the substrate from leveling out. then have a couple large schools of small fish with a couple large fish.

I read that 2 male bettas are successfully put in tanks together that are large. Such as a 75 gallon. But every time i do a tank this large i have large fish never a community tank. Do you think that it would successfully work? Also if this works i want to put some females in with them. How many do you think i need to keep the bettas to not fight over females? :) Also i am planning to do a home made wet/dry filter. Any suggestions? Also, i saw elephant fish in a book and as far as i could tell they don't eat smaller fish in the tank, do they? THey look really interesting.

Bump...:p

Ok, now i need your guys expertise. I went on a trip yesterday upstate and on the way down idecided to stop at one of the upstate local fish stores. I found 2 fish that i have never seen in the aquarium buisness and apparently are very rare. So i asked the guy at the store (as usual not telling me nothing right about the fish) and i forgot my fish book i usualy have with me. I found a stingray pleco and a peacock goby. I looked them up now that i am home and it turns out the goby needs live or frozen food. I have the frozen food covered. As for the stingray pleco I read that it should have fast moving water. That i really cannot provide do to the other fish i have. Do you guys think he will be fine in a tank with not alot of current but only a little?

Back
Top Bottom