I need to find a black substrate of some kind......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvanv

Aquarium Advice Regular
I like PFS for substrate but now I am looking for some black substrate for a species cherry shrimp tank. Anyone have some suggestions on something they have used? I don't like the tank black gravel which seems to be coated. Has anyone use 3M Crystal Quartz?

not sure how big a size you are looking for, but would black lava rock work?

If you want sand, look for Black Beauty Blasting sand. It is made from coal slag, but is apparently safe for aquariums. It will be much cheaper than aquarium specific products.

I thought Tahitian Moon Sand was finer than PFS and would move around the tank from the pressure of the output of my AC30.

tahitian moon sand is in my 175 bowfront..after the sand saturates, it will be ok. Saltwater tanks have a lot more flow then fresh tanks as a general rule and it does fine in there.

Thanks for all the help. I will look into both options.

Seachem just came out with Flourite Black and Flourite Black Sand. I am not sure how many stores are carrying it yet but I wanted to mention it as an option.

Seachem also has Onyx Sand but that is actually gray in color despite what it may look like on the web. I used it in one tank and have been happy with it but now prefer Eco-Complete for any new planted tanks I set up.

Back
Top Bottom