I need to pick some brains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ickletas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been having a mooch around the interweb lately trying to find shellies for my next tank whick will either be a 55l or 105l (I have both in a cupboard under the stairs just waiting to be let out). Anyway on my travels around cyberspace I happened across a breeder selling some Nicholsi dwarf mouthbrooders (Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of these fish. Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Ya, I tried keeping 2 pairs of them in a 55 (200+l) some years ago. Do not play well with others of their own species, not a problem for most other fish. The females were killed rather early on, not one of my spawning success stories. Males are beautiful, shame they're so homicidal.

Grr I had a feeling that that might be the case. This makes me a bit sad. Is it possible that a single pair or 1m and 2/3f could be kept in the 105l as long as move the holding female/s into a seperate tank? From what I have read the males only really get narky with unresponsive/holding females that are in their territory. Otherwise I might have to have a look for some Egyptians instead as from what I have read they are less aggressive.

In a 4' tank the dominant male claimed the whole thing as his territory. Other folks have had better luck with them, not sure why or how though. Maybe 3-4 females and some dither fish? I had the same result with some Victorian Hap's; the females got killed not too long after they arrived, then all but a couple of males.

Boo back to the search for shellies it is then. Well until I can get a green light from the old fart to get another big tank. Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom