I plan on starting a planted aquarium here in a few days and need some advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah, um I look up the names of the equipment I need, like say "koralia 750 powerheads" for my salt tank and make a list, give it to my lfs guy and ask if he can match the prices I found. I know he can't match crazy sale prices and some places have exclusive products that he can't sell, but he will find me the nearest or best priced models and in a few weeks when they get a shipment they order me the list of items and I pay about the same and yet the lfs makes a small profit or at least gets part of their minimum order made.

Craigslist does have some of the things I'm looking for! Just not ready to start yet. But I do have a question for you, one of my platys had 21 baby fry on Saturday so I bought a nursery tank for them. Eventually they will outgrow it cause its only 2.5 gallons, and my 26 gallon community tank has almost reached full capacity. Do you know of any way that I could maybe sell the babies once they get a little bigger ? Would any LFS take them in for me? Just curious so I know what to do it the future.

Y'know, a lot of employees at lfs can be unhelpful, but the guy who hooks me up is the son of the "mom and pop" shop owners so he can really make whatever deals he wants. He never used to help me much until I ran into a mutual friend we shared in the shop. So look for an in, lol. But there is usually one guy or girl, maybe a manager/owner but maybe the 16-year old who really cares and gives thoughtful advice. They are the ones who appear to like their jobs.

So feel it out, but yeah best bet is lightly used equipment.

I definitely know petco and petsmart aren't gonna help me. I mint try this store called streetside pets, it's owned by sown middle aged man, I used to buy fish off him all the time before I started going to petco for everything. Maybe I'll start going back there ? Hmm. I'll have to see if I can persuade him a little lol. I just don't want all the baby fry to die!

I've never tried to but I hear its pretty common. It's all about the mood of the individual, so try try again. My dude can be kinda eggy but he also snaps out if it and tries to help me enjoy the hobby and give me all the info I need. His teenage employee is waaaaay easier to deal with and he knows his stuff too, very polite and chill.

I'm a prudent consumer. My return patronage is always pending, and I like to "vote" with my dollars and support local business as long as quality is high and I'm respected, all too uncommon!

By the way most people on CL are super grateful to sell their stuff, and I'd rather support the families who need it if I can!

Yes! There's some great deals on CL! And yeah, I've noticed some employees in pet stores don't even know what the heck their talking about when I ask them questions. Sometimes I'll ask them a question I already know the answer to and see what they say (; that's usually how I can tell if their any good or not.

Back
Top Bottom