I redid my aquascape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
And I'm pretty sure I hate/love it.

It's simple but has a ton of function. It doesn't look the nicest but when the Corals finally grow out it might. A big problem tho are the corals I glued in I couldn't get out. I like the open sand bed and I think the fish really love swimming between the rock crevasses. I'm really worried about debris collecting between the rocks tho. And it's not very interesting to look at. But I think I love it? Lol. To my friends who don't have tanks I'm sure it'll look like a pile of rocks but I think it looks better then when I try to make interesting structures.

Comments/criticism?

Old
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450281124.080661.jpg

New
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450280790.487405.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally, I liked it the way it was before.

But they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

I for one am always changing my tanks. If you like it stick with it!

Caleb

I'm so torn! My fiancé hates it. I have 2 large rocks I moved to my sump that I might add back to the DT on the left side. I'm definitely noticing the fish like the security of the rocks and aren't really swimming in the open area much.

actually from the fish's perspective, it was better before because the lay out provided many spots for each fish to establish a little territory. now they are all forced to share the same main structure.

simple rule of thumb, the more secure feeling you can make the tank for the fish, using a background, lots of rock work with many caves, nooks and crannies, then the more they will behave naturally.

I told myself I'd give it a few days but I'm liking it more. I just didn't like something about the last layout. The fish have been doing better and are all out acting normal again. My fiancé still hates it lol. She wants me to make arches...maybe now I have an excuse to buy a little bit more rock

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450464520.278586.jpg

Added 2 more rocks.

What are some of your guys ideas??

I'd take the 2 piles you have and turn them into 2 archways. Make a hole through the middles so the fish can swim through. Looks cool that way too, instead of looking like piles of rock.

I'll have to plan something out this time instead of just moving things around lol. Most of my rocks are large and they are all very dense. Making an arch with the rocks I have kind of scares me because they are all so heavy and large. But I do have a pile of short fiberglass rods to use.

Otherwise I was thinking of ordering some more reef saver rock and requesting smaller pieces. Or maybe even dry pukani. But I'm afraid mixing rock types might look bad.

Any thoughts? I'm cleared to light walking now so I'll end up trying to redo this probably tonight.

If you think of your aquascape as art you can use the rule of thirds. If you divide your tank into thirds horizontally and vertically with tape the focal points of the rock should be at the intersections of the tape. It is a way to quantify visual perspective and ratios. There is a good video on this at bulk reef supply.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450540016.287268.jpg

I actually did that with the last scape. Although not very effectively I don't think. I didn't have time to work on this last night but maybe tonight I'll dive in. It always seems like I prefer the right side so I want to build that side up higher...like almost to the point where it reaches the surface.

I'm slowly gaining more ideas. Thanks everyone for your input!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450540415.406554.jpg

Ok! Not much has changed but I love it!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450626283.959984.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450626292.926666.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom