I think I have a bully in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blahblahblah

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 2 Gold Panda Mollies, 3 Sunburst Platy's and 4 Black Skirt Tetra's about 3 months ago. Not knowing anything about Fish tank's or cycling and started losing some of my fish. First I lost 1 of the Mollies, then 1 of the Platy's. Since then we are noticing that the Molly is bullying the other fish. My Platy's are hiding in the rock display (1 looks injured) and The Molly just keep chasing the Tetra's and it looks like he maybe nipping. Now that it seems my tank has cycled how ( YEAH!) How do I solve this problem. I've read in some other posts that getting another one might help or do I take him back to Petsmart and see if they will let me exchange him for something else or do what my husband said and flush him ( I'd rather not) ? He does act crazy sometimes!!

Mollies can be nippy. If you want Mollies and don't mind them filling your tank you can keep 3-4 females and 1 male.

Try feeding small meals 2x daily. My Mollies were pigs and I found frequent small feelings reduced aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I find that as well that mollies are not shy on being forward. A larger school as suggested could well put him more at ease (assuming space permits).

+1, I agree with what's been said above.
Never EVER flush fish. Not only is it just plain out evil to the fish, but if that fish somehow survives (unlikely, but always a chance) and gets into the water ways, it can ruin the ecosystem. Just don't do it, not good at all.

I only have room for 1. would that be enough? I need to save room for some Rubber Lips. I was told yesterday that my local Petco has a donation tank.

Your tank is 29g ?

I'd donate or return him.

You don't have room for Plecos IMHO.
Consider 4-6 Otos instead once your tank is more mature. As long as you have some live plants and driftwood they are my favorite algae eating fish.

Or get a Nerite Snail.

Only get an Algae eater because you want one. You don't have to have them. If you control your lighting and keep tank clean you may rarely get much visible algae.

You need room to fill out your group of Tetras.

I would add a group of Corydoras if your substrate is smooth enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 corydoras and I have colored gravels. Yes my tank is 29g. I bought 2 male Guppies and 2 snails last night. I was just hoping the rubber lips would get rid of the dang brown algae I've been dealing with for 2 months. It's on everything!!! My white gravel looks disgusting!! So since I'm having problems with my Molly I should forget the rubber lips and get more mollies ? Oh and as soon as I put the guppies in the tank last night one of them was going after my Red Wag Platy's side fin. It was so mean. It as calmed down now. Thank you sooooo much for your help

Back
Top Bottom