I think I have bba...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
When I was doing my weekly water change I noticed what I think might be bba. It is on my crypt and a 2 of my staurogyne repens I have personally never seen it up close. On first glance I thought it was from the brown algae I have atm which wasn't a big worry because I know that it is self limiting. But this makes me want to cry! I hit it with peroxide I have already cut the lights down to my duals 2 hours and the quads for 3 hours a day. So what is going to be the fastest way to kill this stuff without killing my fish or other plants especially my high light ones

I'm not so sure you've got BBA forming but more like fuzz algae or Oedogonium algae which is short and gives plants a fuzzy look. Either can be killed with peroxide or liquid carbon. Are you using CO2? If so up your bps. If your using liquid carbon increase it. You might still have to cut your lighting hours or figure out how to do a siesta. What ferts are you using? BBA usually but not always starts around the edged of plants and is more tufty. That looks more fuzzy to me.

I have DIY at 3bps I just upped it from 1bps and added another bottle and I am dosing glut at 1ml per 5g. I will up that to 1 ml per gallon. Ferts are flourish and flourish tabs I dose the flourish per directions twice a week. I was going to pick up the flourish phosphate this week like you told me but should I wait until I get rid of this stuff?

I just looked at some pictures and it most resembles the staghorn, I know the picture wasn't great. How far can I cut the lights without damaging the plants?

Funny thing is when plants don't have enough ferts it's easier for some reason for algae to be able to use them if other factors favor the algae. Personally I wouldn't wait but would try getting the nutrient levels on target.

Back
Top Bottom