I think i invented something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan321

Aquarium Advice Freak
I completely forget where or if I heard this but I think I might have invented a biological filter/ nitrate reactor( I'm really not sure)/ refugium. So you have a big piece of PVC tubing( as big as you can fit. I could do a 3 ft tube 3 in diameter) and you put a light at the top connected to and end cap. At the bottom there is also an endcap. You get a piece of silicone tubing to use as a syphon. Drill the side of the top end cap so the tubing can fit in. Cut a square in the top of the PVC tube so you can fit a 45 degree PVC fitting on it. Glue the fitting in the rectangle you made. Get a pump for the out take and fill the tubing with live rock rubble and macro algae. The pump pushes the water out through the fitting and in through the top cap. It would take nitrates out of the tank and all that good stuff. If you know who said this already or If I just dreamt it tell me. I do not mean to plagerize. Thanks!

from, Adam

it would not reduce nitrates because the rock rubble you put in the tube is not big enough to have anaerobic zones in it. it's simply extra surface area for bacteria. there is also no need for a light.

mr_X said:
it would not reduce nitrates because the rock rubble you put in the tube is not big enough to have anaerobic zones in it. it's simply extra surface area for bacteria. there is also no need for a light.

I thought you needed light for macro? That was what I thought would lower nitrates.

from, Adam

I will try to make a drawing of it but you better not laugh at my lack of skill lol.

from, Adam

oops...i missed the macro algae thing. the trouble with that is the light will only penetrate so far, so you'll only be able to keep macros alive at a certain level.

my question would be, why not a very open area that will allow much more surface area for light to penetrate, much more surface area for gas exchange, and much more surface area for a possible DSB?

I was thinking about that but this would be a design for Someone who didn't have room for a sump or anything bulky. It could be a HOB or just more room for a sump. You would get the basic bonuses for a refugium packed into a small space. Instead of this being PVC it could be a clear plastic so if you needed additional lighting it wouldn't be a problem.

from, Adam

I just finished drawing it so it will hopefully be scanned by Monday night/ Tuesday afternoon.

from, Adam

Fishfan321 said:
I just finished drawing it so it will hopefully be scanned by Monday night/ Tuesday afternoon.

from, Adam

Can't wait :b
Maybe you should have a trail at Home to see if it works! It's all just theory until u try it out

Ya. I was going to make one but I'm a freshie lol. My dad liked the idea so much he is asking if it is copyrighted haha. I will try it though.

from, Adam

ditch the light, the rock and algae.. then replace with sulfur and you have a DIY sulfur reactor.. a nitrate killer. Perhaps it was the rotten eggs in the fridge that sent your subconscious off track.

CaptainAhab said:
ditch the light, the rock and algae.. then replace with sulfur and you have a DIY sulfur reactor.. a nitrate killer. Perhaps it was the rotten eggs in the fridge that sent your subconscious off track.

Haha k. I am scanning it
Right now and you guys can add to it if you want. When I become a millionaire I will give you guys partial profit haha.

from, Adam

heres it is... i know it looks like crap lol

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 140
so basically a filter cannister with LR and chaeto with a light!!.
I dont think the small amount of chaeto would do a great deal unless its a very small tank,
You could use an old filter cannister and some how put an led strip down one side(inside) as long as it could be sealed for better light penetration??

Back
Top Bottom