I Think I Killed Java Moss...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello gang,

I recently did a major rescape in my tank. As part of my rebuild, I added a pretty massive piece of driftwood to the tank. While at my LFS, I picked up a container of Java moss and tied some of it to the driftwood. Well, fast forward a week later and I've got a nice brown carpet.

I dose daily with API CO2 Booster, and weekly with Seachem Flourish. My water parameters are pH of 7.8, ammonia and nitrite are 0 ppm, nitrates about 20 ppm, KH is 5 and GH is 9. I've got an Ecoxotic E-Series light over top of my tank. Is it possible that I'm "burning" my moss with the light?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I've not heard of killing java moss is this fashion but with that much light it could be the case.. I'd junk the moss and look into some mini fissedens, it will do much better in high light situations such as yours

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My java moss did the same thing but in the low end of med. light. I could only guess that the temperature was too high for a while and burned it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Brookster,

How would I get that to attach to my driftwood? My minimal research has shown that people put this stuff in the blender with milk to get it to grow, then smear it on a rock or wood and let it grow dry. I'm guessing I'm in for more than just tying it on the wood...

Let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Brookster,

How would I get that to attach to my driftwood? My minimal research has shown that people put this stuff in the blender with milk to get it to grow, then smear it on a rock or wood and let it grow dry. I'm guessing I'm in for more than just tying it on the wood...

Let me know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha.no way.. my gf would kill me if she saw me in the kitchen sticking moss in a blender. . I just zip tie it on, fishing line works too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha.no way.. my gf would kill me if she saw me in the kitchen sticking moss in a blender. . I just zip tie it on, fishing line works too..

Yeah, my soon-to-be wife would probably kill me too. Unless we pass it off as a new "superfood" smoothie. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Lol milk?

Yeah I said the same thing. But I read it on the internet, so it must be true!

Thanks guys. I'll look into getting some, and attaching it with some zip ties. Love those things...

Yup some people do that to dry start moss, although I think most use yogurt. It's a common ingredient in moss graffiti, which is actually really cool and something worth googling. In your average water filled tank I'd just stick to thread, fishing line, or super glue though.

Back
Top Bottom