I think my Discus are sick ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I moved them to my 92g tank a week ago, I used my old substrates, and even added 4 more bags, I transferred over my canister filter that I was using with them in the old tank as well.. So I didn't have to cycle the tank and it never went through one either..

My discus still eat out of my hand like pigs, and swim together in the front of the tank, but both of my blue turqs their eyes are getting a little cloudy and I noticed they have an increase in slime on them so I can tell they are stressed over something..

Im not sure what it is though.. Im using Floramax Original substrate, I have driftwood in the tank, lots of plants. and only neons tetra's with them and some cory and otto.

I tested my water and here are my params..

Nitrate is 10, Ammonia and Nitrite is 0, GH is 7 drops (so im guessing around 130 is my GH) KH is 2 drops so its probly around 25PPM, My Phosphates are hard to tell between 0 and 0.5 all 3 colors are hard to tell.. Water temps are 84-85f. I cant find my Low range PH test drops.. According to my test strips its its 6.4-6.6.

So my water seems fine, my GH is a little high, but I don't think that's an issue..

Any idea's ? Im also recently finding out and suspecting that my substrate is the culprite for the massive brown hair algae outbreak that I cant get under control.. I read that its caused by excessive iron in the water and the Floramax original I found had magnetic rocks in it so its probably putting too much iron in the tank.. I dunno if that would affect the discus or not.. Im going to go see if my local fish store has some kind of iron test kit so I can see how much iron I have in the tank..

Other then all this im swamped.. I dunno why my discus are starting to have cloudy eyes and a thicker slime coat.. they eat like crazy, they are in a huge tank now.. but they seem stressed and are dark... Im thinking of buying a white background because maybe its my dark green walls ? I dunno

If I had to guess it would just be from the new environment. Bigger tank or not, it's still new to them. Try adding a few more hiding places to make gem feel safer

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If I had to guess it would just be from the new environment. Bigger tank or not, it's still new to them. Try adding a few more hiding places to make gem feel safer

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I agree with caleb. I would also keep the lights low or off for a few days. If the substrate is something new then I would check that as you said but your water and everything is the same so I would bet its just the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom