I think my fish is going to give birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrgolfball

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got some fish from a friend and I think one of them is pregnant. I showed hima picture of it and he agrees, however I am not sure when I should put her in an isolation tank to lay the eggs. I have attatched the best picture I could get of her. Any thoughts... Also I am not sure what kind of fish they are, i was told once but have forgotten any ideas.

Is it a platy? I don't know a whole lot about them if it is, but that's what it looks like to me. She looks pretty big, but I know that doesn't help at all. You might want to just search the internet for information, I am pretty sure that's a platy.

That is a platy. It is a live bearing fish and has a tendency to eat their young like most live bearers.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile4.html

There is a link about them. If you are interested in keeping the young go out and purchase a breeding net/trap. Remove the mother platy right after she has given birth or else she will eat them all!! These fry do start to swim right away. Wait a day or 2 for their yolk sac to be used up and after that you can feed them finely finely finely crushed flake food. Keep the fry in the breeding net/trap until they are not going to fit into the mouths of the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom