I think my goldfish has ich? How to treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jed Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I noticed quite a few white dots on the tail of my new goldfish (purchased may 20th). The tank is in its first week of cycling, its a new tank. Ammonia is 0-0.25ppm, no nitrite and little to no nitrate. I done a 25% water change last night. There are also some white bumps on its body. How do I treat it? its a 37L tank so if you could give me measurements of medications that would be much appreciated:(.
Thank you!

Hi...

Your best bet would be to buy ick medication that will be compatible with your fish at your local pet store. The bottle will give you measurements and directions depending on what brand or type of medication you get.

Thanks, I brought Wunder Tonic, and am now treating the tank/fish, so fingers crossed he will be ok!

Do you have a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What do these numbers read? What type of goldfish?

Unfortunately, your going to be facing a constant battle with toxins and health issues with your present situation. A 37l/9g tank really is not appropriate for any goldfish and you will need to do multiple daily water changes to try to keep toxin levels under control until you can address his home situation.

I am not positive on all of the ingredients in the product you added, but I believe it contains methylene blue, acriflavine and quinine. The meth blue and acri are potent antibacterials and will kill any good bacteria you are attempting to foster. Quinine does treat ich effectively but it will need to used appropriately. It can cause sterility in some fish. Your biggest concern right now is going to toxin levels and constant wcs. Please read the link below and ask any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Aquarium Salt

So sorry about your fish from my experience, you can effectively treat ich with aquarium salt. Here's what to do:

- Raise the temperature temporarily to 76-80° F.
- Do a 25% water change.
- Add freshwater aquarium salt to the tank in the quantity said on the box based on your tank size.
- Do this three times at 12 hour intervals.
- In two weeks or so remove the salt with a 50%-75% water change.

Keep in mind that your goldfish may start to look worse before getting better.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom