I think one of my puffers is sick :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnarmedCrayon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gal with two dwarf puffers and two otos. Tank is cycled, been with fish for about a month now, no health issues. From the beginning one puffer was a lil bigger, ate more, and grew faster. Didn't think much of it cause the lil one acts normal and eats everyday. In the last couple days the lil one has become startlingly skinny. You can see his head is normal size, but the rest of him is tiny now. Still acts normal and eats though.

Water parameters have never spiked, neutral ph, usually 0 ammonia ( gotten lowest reading a couple times, but not since the additional sponge filter got established), 0 nitrites, and nitrates stay low as I do a 50% water change every Sunday.
I've read about parasites being an issue for puffers. They live on frozen blood worms ( thawed out of course). Can my one sick guy affect my healthy one? And I've started melifix, is there anything else I can do? I know these guys are super sensitive to chemicals.

Any info will be appreciated.

treat for internal parasite. these types of cases happens frequently, same as yours. try prazipro or jungle meds.

edit: also check the dwarf puffer profile to see best way to treat with meds.

Wanted to thank you for your response, the lil guy is half the size of his friend, but has stopped getting thinner and his body shape has evened out a bit. He is still eating and a bit more active, so I think the medicine worked :)

Back
Top Bottom