I think our crayfish killed our other crayfish and ate some of it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6ofus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We are pretty new to a fish tank and still learning but the fish have been thriving so we let the kiddos pick out some new fish and they picked two crayfish. The lady at the store said they would be fine together but to give them two separate "shelters" in the tank because they can be aggressive. We have had them for about two months now and they have been fine but over the weekend I found one of the crayfish dead with it's head missing and no sign of the head anywhere in the tank!!! On top of it, one of the crayfish was white, one was blue. I was thinking the white one may have eaten part of the blue one since part of his body is nowhere to be found and now the white crayfish is turning blue, is this totally bizarre or what?! I told my husband I don't think we should get another crayfish but the kiddos are devastated and want to get another one of course.

What kind of setup do you have with what kind of fish?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Crayfish need to molt periodically. Afterwards they are completely defenseless until their shell hardens.
If you get another one, this will almost certainly happen again.

I don't know much about crayfish in an aquarium, but I had read that 2 crayfish can seldom cohabitate, especially 2 different types. We have several native crayfish in our largest pond, and seen to have no problem, except the smaller ones being eaten by the catfish, but they have more room than they have in an aquarium.
I have also read that female crayfish have tiny claws, so if you decide to get another, maybe try to find one with small claws. At least it won't get as big a grip on anything that way.

Crayfish will fight, and will also eat anything they can catch, so watch out for your tetras if you have any, or any fish that have flowing or big tails like Guppies or Betas. Crayfish also will rearrange your tank for you, whether you like it or not. Very pretty though. I wish I could have one, or even some shrimp, but my fish will eat the shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom