I want a top-swimming, fast-moving, community fish for 29 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doublenerds

Aquarium Advice Regular
What do you recommend? I have a 29 gallon, heavily planted but with low-growing plants. My current denizens (6 rummynose tetras, 5 otocinclus) love the plants so much that they mostly just zip around their mini-jungle. Lovely to watch up close, but now I need some fish I can see from my desk around 6 feet away.

I am thinking 6 small schooling fish or 2-3 larger fish, but I do want some motion so I'm not looking for stately swimmers like gourami.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I vote for Danios personally. They may not be classified as top swimmers...but my experience is that they stay near the upper level and zip all over the place. There's all sorts of Danios like Zebras, Leopards and even Glofish which are the definition of active in my eyes, and would easily be seen from a distance (especially the Glofish obviously).

I would have to agree with Bruinsbro, and I would also suggest some of the smaller rainbowfish as well. But I would have to vote for the hatchetfish because they are so cool!

Leopard Danios and Tiger Barbs, great fish and in my experience are upper level swimmers that don't stop

I vote for Danios personally. They may not be classified as top swimmers...but my experience is that they stay near the upper level and zip all over the place. There's all sorts of Danios like Zebras, Leopards and even Glofish which are the definition of active in my eyes, and would easily be seen from a distance (especially the Glofish obviously).

+1 ... I just added 4 Zebra Danios last week and am amazed at how active they are. I haven't seen them "rest" yet ... and I'm home all day until the school year starts so I'm constantly looking at the tank. Aside from the ones eco23 mentioned .. I saw a picture of a gold zebra danio online ... wow ... I think those and the leopard's would look so sweet!

i have some beautiful yellow, green, and pink glo fish in my tank. they zip around the top of the tank and add some nice color too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom