I want hitch hikers gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up my nano tank and the live rock had a ton of hitch hikers. 4 starfish things, a spider looking thing,
Snails, and bristle worms. I hate the look of these bristle worms an need them gone. How can i get rid of them. The Rock and sand is in the tank with water that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Even though you do not like them they are good janitors and will help to keep the tank clean. Some folks would kill to have good hitchhikers in their tank.

Lol. Everyone in my house thinks they look disgusting and wants them gone.

These are the type of animals that make the tank function and are all beneficial. It is kinda irresponsible as an aquarist to just rid your tank of hitchhikers. If it was something harmful sure get rid of it or find a new home for it but just because it "grosses" ppl out doesn't mean it should be killed.

My mom knows nothing about fish and it was hard enough to convince her to let me get another tank. All she cares is that the tank looks clean and "nemo" is happy. The whole "bristle worm" thing isn't going over to well. She thinks that the are a pest.

bristleworms most of the time they'll be buried in the sand or in your rock and mostly come out at night, every salt water tank has them . the spider looking thing is most likely a serpent star or a bristle star . the little ones can be removed but you will most likely encounter them again down the line , snails are a great part of your clean up crew.

A marine system is all about building an eco system and bristle worms , serpent star ect all serve a purpose and they will get to places and clean that you cannot get to.

They will eat excess food that is trapped in the rocks and fish poo. I know there is some in mine but I'm happy to leave them be and clean up the place for me.

If you find they get to a plague proportion then it will be down to you over feeding the system as there numbers will be dependent on the available food to them which should be minimal.

I'm doing a fowlr and cycling the tank now. If I don't add any food to the tank will they die?

If you don't want hitch hikers then you will have to start again with dry rock.

And not feeding the tank won't kill them that fast.

Back
Top Bottom