I want information on keeping a fem. betta serority.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarloves

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon with a few other fish and one female betta I got a couple of weeks ago. I want to move my other fish into differnt tanks and start a serority in my well planted 10 gal. I need all the information I can get: links, experience, advice. Everything is helpful. How many fish should I add and should a add them all at once? Thanks.

Yes, do add them all at once. Make sure you have at least 4-5 or so. Sometimes females can be as aggresive as males, so bigger numbers will help ensure that the agression is spread out. I had a pair of females and the dominate harrased the other until I had to give her away to a friend.

I would actually disagree with Roger on this one. I started my own little "sorority" of female bettas which nobody wanted at Walmart. I added the first girl, she was happy. I found another who hadn't been taken home for a week, she was half the size. I put her in with the other female (slowly acclimating her in a clear cup) and they chased eachother once or twice, but that was it. Then I found another little girl (she was itty-bitty!!...oh and I'm not allowed to go to Walmart without a friend to prevent me from bringing any more unwanted gals home...although I always waited a few days to make sure no one was going to buy them) and added her and that transition was seemless. Actually, the little girl stuck by the side of the 1st girl for the first few hours. It was really cute. So, in my experience, I'd say you'd be just fine in adding the girls at different times. My only suggestion would be to make sure you are adding younger females to the group because they are smaller and seem to not want to force a change in rank. HTH!!!

Back
Top Bottom