I want me water even cleaner, any suggestion. Pictures inside!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichliddave

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want my water even clear-er , any suggestion. Pictures inside!

Hello, 1st post

My 55 gallon cichlid tank looks awesome from the front (well really clear)
But, from the ends, you can see "the haze"
Yes I do every weekly water changes
And Clean my filters weekly

Two aquaclear 110's blow a lot of water around 1000 gallons an hour
And an air pump powering one 10" long air hose, lots of bubbles

Any healthy suggestions to get that bit much more clear water?:banghead:

Thanks for any advice

-Dave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
A big ALS dude suggested clarity.... This is the first chimerical in four years for my tank

Did three applications if this stuff.....didn't notice a difference... I guess I need to do research on purigen

48 " long tank

Lots of filter floss in each filter, that I clean bi weekly
Good quality pool filter sand , rinsed very clean,

What makes purigen better than clarity?

48 " long tank

I'm not sure of the exact science behind it, I know it works for me. The floss, what kind do you use and do you rinse it in tank water before adding to the filter. Also is the bubbler/airstone close to the substrate??

Yup, go with purigen. It's re-usable as well and you'll know when to wash it by the color change from white to dark brown.

purigen and a uv sterilizer

Again 20cc... UV sterilizers are only effective against Bacterial blooms and Algae blooms. They are 100% ineffective against particulate cloudiness.

48 " long tank

Purigen absorbs a lot of organic matter that tends to cloud up the water column. It does a similar job to carbon but it lasts a lot longer and is rechargeable.

Thanks everybody

I will,
-Clean floss weekly
-Get purigen
-Get pre intake foam on ASAP
-continue weekly substrate cleaning and water changes

I Won't
-clean H.O.B filters but monthly , I feed more than others so I'm sure I should do that more frequently than others

To Ian06

I'm not sure of the exact science behind it, I know it works for me. The floss, what kind do you use and do you rinse it in tank water before adding to the filter. Also is the bubbler/airstone close to the substrate??

My air...rope is in the sand for at least eight inches

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 133
Thanks everybody

I will,
-Clean floss weekly
-Get purigen
-Get pre intake foam on ASAP
-continue weekly substrate cleaning and water changes

I Won't
-clean H.O.B filters but monthly , I feed more than others so I'm sure I should do that more frequently than others

To Ian06

My air...rope is in the sand for at least eight inches
Firstly, the floss can be dumped. It doesn't need to be cleaned, it can be rinsed(tank water) but because it's SO cheap, I prefer to just bin and replace it. This is optional of course.
Secondly, the air rope could be the cause of your haze. I had a similar issue when I had an air stone(buried) in my 55g with sand substrate. Try the above ideas and if they don't work, I would suggest removing the air(rope) from the substrate and having it about 1-2" above the sand.....

Well I went to two local pet stores and Wally World.. No purigen

I did get a big above the sand air stone, so hopefully less sand agitation, and hopefully my little bit of cloudiness will disappear..

Off to big ALS later in the week I guess to get some purigen
I like to never use chemicals so I hope this works

Again tank looks great from the front, yet end to end looking through its, to me, unacceptably cloudy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 114
With Purigen, you have nothing to worry about, chemically. It is placed in your filter and absorbs/removes organic waste, so it's not adding anything chemical to your water. It polishes the water. You'll struggle to see the water....

Back
Top Bottom