i want to boast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My fish in cycle has finally finished after much labor and dedication. While dealing with a 5 week long nitrite spike, 50% daily pwc, I wanted to give up! We went to see family for three days and obviously no water changes for those days, come back to perfect readings! I'm left wondering if the water changes were stalling the cycle. Anyway, I'm so excited to be sharing this news :D

Yey! Glad the hard work pays off. I hope the same happens to me as been dealing with exactly the same thing and have to go out of town now till the weekend.

I've just started into the high nitrite stage. It jumps to 2.0 everyday even while doing 75% wc everyday. I get trace amounts of nitrates. I would be tempted to try and leave it but I just had a gravel vac accident and one of my goldies is now healing up. I know I have to try and keep the water as healthy as possible right now.

Congrats on yours though! Enjoy it!

Mine did the same thing before it started going to 5 every morning. Maybe try smaller more frequent pwc. I understand there's little bacteria in the water column but I feel like those water changes is what took mine so long. Just in theory. I am amazed that all of my cichlids made it with those daily 5 ppm peaks. Hope your goldie recovers I am sorry to hear that!

Thanks. It was heart breaking to think I hurt him so bad. I thought he was done for but he seems to be doing ok now. He not floating upside down anymore and there is no open wounds, only bald spots. I'm being soooo careful now.

You know freshwater aquarium salt in small doses really really helps heal wounds! I have even read that sea salt, (the kind you eat without iodine or additives ) is just as good.

Back
Top Bottom