I want to breed something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what some of you think would be a good fish that i could breed easily in a 10 gal, be it livebearers or what ever.

Guppies are VERY easy to breed fancy or nonfancy.

There are some simple egg layers you could do...white clouds are very easy to breed.

Guppys are actually somthing i was looking into and they are also very nice looking. Should i get a male and 2 females.

The best ratio for guppies is 3 females to 1 male.

Where do you plan to get these guppies from?

Petstore guppies are not the healthies of creatures and normally die once placed in your tank no matter how great your water. The longst I have ever had pet store guppies live is about 3 momths. Hopefully you can get atleast one female to give birth.

When buying guppie females from a petstore they are always pregnat...Who knows what will come out :) Its like a free grab bag lol.

When looking at these fish look to buy larger females...it is normally a sign of healthyness and they normally carry larger amounts of babies.

When buying males buy a color pattern you like. But please do not be upset if the male dies. I have had males live longer than females. Look closely for diseases. ICH is very commong among guppies in petstores. When guppies get ich it can be difficult to cure. Guppies from the petstore that get ich normally die but it is possible to cure them!

Infact, I can't get a female fancy guppy from my petstore to live. Either of my petstores!

The best of luck to you.

Oh BTW if you want a good strain of a guppies check www.aquabid.com or look for a breeder within your area

I recently found out that about an hour away from me there is a guppy breeder club...Hopefully I can join and obtain some nice guppies :)

Im going to get them at a petstore and keep my fingers crossed. The petstore i go to is VERY good about keeping tanks clean and disease free, if a tank has a disease it is imeadiatly quarentined and treated. Thanks alot for the help!!

If you do bettas, you have to place each individual fry in a different container until you can determine what gender they are. And there are usually more than 300 eggs per batch.

Go with the guppies. I got 2 pairs from petsmart for $3 a pair a few months ago. Since then, I've expanded to two tanks. The second tank is inhabited by, you guessed it, fry. I have 2 males to 2 females, and they are all quite...active.

Psyhampster said:
If you do bettas, you have to place each individual fry in a different container until you can determine what gender they are. And there are usually more than 300 eggs per batch.

Not true...

Bettas can grow in grow out tank all together until they start to show agression...later you remove the males and jar them and eventualy the females IF you see signs of fighting. Normally females can be fine together once a pecking order is established. I have read for hours and hours about breeding bettas.

Please read threads better before you reply!

The main post clearly states that Newb will be using a 10 gallon.

I don't mean to flame...it just annoys me when people don't read lol.

im either getting anotehr 10 or a 20......most likely a ten because im still short on money. Im probly going with Guppies, and if i decide to move on to somthing else i will let MTS take action lol.

Guppies are the best bet. Often the ones you buy don't live long, but if you buy a nice fat female she will generally have fry before she dies. The fry born in your own tank will probably do better and live longer.

amosf is correct :)

As I said look for a large female...

The fry that are born will live fine...atleast that has been my experince.

The hard part is getting a large female :)

one final thing should i just set up the tank as i would a community or what? Thanks for all the help so far.

Newb, What did you do to set up your community tank?

Did you end up with the 10?

Remember you need to cycle it somehow.

what i mean is will i need the same equipment? I havent gotten the 10 gallon yet but thats what im getting. What will i need for decorations. Will i need gravel, plants ect. Im getting a penguin 125 and a jager 50 watt heater.

All of that sounds fine.

Make sure to have a hood also.

The same type of equipment as your 10 gal.

Guppies require nothing more than a well put together community tank.

Back
Top Bottom