I want to change my food, suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to change my flake food. Currently I am feeding Nutrafin Flakes, but I think I need to change, I have had a lot of fish loss in the last 3 months and I wan to change the food in case that is casuing it.

I switched to a jungle labs anti-bacterial for 10 days and the fish really liked it, things were going much better. After the 10 days, i went back to the flakes, after 3 days I lost my Gourami (before him I have lost 12 Tiger Barbs and 1 Cory).

Suggestions on food?

I feed Omega one flakes but will be changing to New Life Spectrum because one of my fish died from swallowing a bone shard from the Omega One.

A bone shard?

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but if you know your fish died from eating a bone shard, why did you put it in the tank in the first place? Wouldn't it have been better to throw out the bit of bone, rather than putting it in the tank?

I've used Omega One for years and have never had any issues regarding their quality.

Go with New Life Spectrum....best fish food available, hands down....I would look at the Community Formula, FW flakes, and Thera_A small fish Formula...all of which would be excellent choices for your fish.

the fish in my planted tank actually don't like NLS. It's weird. I feed them Omega one and my cichlids get the NLS

food

I have had good experiences with NLS too. My fish have colored up, even the panda cories. They are a cute salmon color now. lol All the fish do their best cichlid impersinations at feeding time.

I use Omega One and NLS and I'll be honest: the NLS is good stuff, but I haven't found it to be the "be-all, end-all" food it claims to be.

Voodoo Chilli said:
I use Omega One and NLS and I'll be honest: the NLS is good stuff, but I haven't found it to be the "be-all, end-all" food it claims to be.

You are one in a million....besides you, I have yet to meet a single serious aquarist that after trying NLS would ever go back to any other prepared food.

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but if you know your fish died from eating a bone shard, why did you put it in the tank in the first place?
I try to pick them out but I missed one. I don't think that I should have to. The bone shards have been dyed along with everything else, so it is hard to tell if you got a shard in that pinch unless you check all the flakes. I expect that a bottle of fish food should contain nothing that would kill my fish if they ate it, and I don't that is too much to ask. I love Omega one except for their stupid bone shards. Its only their main tropical staple food that I have found them in. Every bottle will have shards and clumps. My Omega one appetite enhancement formula is bone free.

I've accidentally stabbed myself with a bone shard before. I was crunching up the flakes for my fry and poked myself. It drew blood, got a little infected, but healed up pretty fast.

I've used Omega for years now and have never found bone fragments. Heck, I've been keeping fish for 20 years now and I've never even heard of bone fragments in prepared foods.

Don't get me wrong: I think NLS is good stuff. It's just that after finally tracking some down, I and my fish weren't that impressed after all the hype I'd heard. I actually had to make my fish eat the stuff; they didn't touch it for weeks.

I use tetramin flakes, but from what I have heard, NLS is great. I might try some when I run out of the tetramin.

I feed my fish a bunch of different foods so I don't have to feed them the same things twice a day. I wouldn't want to eat the same thing all the time. I've got some tubifex worms, algae discs, tetra flake food, shrimp pellets, blood worms, and a brine shrimp flake formula that the cardinal tetras really like.

Voodoo Chilli said:
I've used Omega for years now and have never found bone fragments. Heck, I've been keeping fish for 20 years now and I've never even heard of bone fragments in prepared foods.

I had not either until about 10 months ago...I know 3-4 people locally that have found frags in their Omega One in the last few months....the quality control at their manufacturing plant seems to be a bit less than good these days.

Back
Top Bottom