I want to revive my aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverbacks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wife had me bought a aquarium sometime back and she was taking care of it. I told her to read about aquarium but think got to lazy. Now i have a massive decoration on the house that doesnt do anything. It been this situation for months but the water is still fine at least the way i looked at it.

How to start over? I have been reading this forum for weeks now. I just wanted a planted tank and a few fish. I just read cycling. I would like to start. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423742003.592954.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423742025.076409.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dont know what substrate she use.

Well if you are starting from scratch.

Substrate: Eco complete is a great sub to start with, many people just dump it right in the tank without washing it. It's a great sub for live plants.

****What's the tank size? What is your filtration?

Fish less cycling is easy and won't take long if you can bug the LFS to give you some seeded media or filter pad. Live plants also can help a cycle go smoother.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Its a external canister or some sort but its too noisy. I was reading a fluval which is quiet. Could you recommend one?

Fluval is quiet, Eheim is quiet, Rena/API Filstars are quiet and cheap.

For substrate really anything will work, you could look at the eco complete as was mentioned. You could use dirt which would be really good for plants, and then over the dirt you could do a layer of any gravel or sand you liked. You could just use sand and supplement nutrients with root tabs buried in the sand.

You should just start reading through threads on the Freshwater Getting Started section and the Planted Tanks section, really all the sections. There are multiple threads regarding the same questions you have that have already been answered in great detail.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Appreciate your help. Starting a new journey here.

I would get a school of cardinal tetras and a dwarf gourami. Fill it up some DW, anubias and crypts. Jungle val to add height and cover for gorami. :)

Get a filter that is rated for 3-4 times your tank size. I have a canister rated for 300 gallons/hour on my 29. The extra flow helps to clear the tank faster and move nutrients around

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Everyone is shotgunning random things at you.. I'll try to address everything :)

1. Filter - I have 2 of these filters and they are exceedingly quiet. How noisy is it and what does the noise sound like?

A good brand of filter is an AquaClear. There are plenty of more affordable options out there such as marineland filters which are very quiet as well. All filters will make some noise though.

2. Substrate - There are a few cheap substrate options out there. I would suggest sticking with sand over gravel. I personally use one of 3 different types of sand in my tanks. Pool filter sand which is generally light brown. Black Diamond sandblasting sand which is black. and lastly is a silica sand which is very fine and white. I personally wouldn't use a white sand for planted tank because it gets dingy looking.

Eco complete is a good choice for black substrate, but is a little more coarse than I like and isn't necessary by any means for plant health.

Dirting a tank was mentioned earlier. You place down a layer of organic gardening soil approximately 1" deep and follow that with 1" - 2" of sand. It's not necessary but can make things a little easier for your root feeding plants.

3. Decor - Most people go with driftwood for planted tanks. You can buy it in the store, but I like to scavenge mine. If you're looking at buying it then either manzanita or mopani are the two most popular ones around right now.

4. Plants - With stock lighting you could do low light plants. These include Anubias, Cryptocoryne (Crypts), Java moss, Java Ferns, Anubias, and bolbitis. Here is a slightly more comprehensive list of low light plants.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

5. Fish - I would highly suggest a school of harlequin rasboras. Other good choices include a single dwarf gourami, cory cats, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, Guppies, and platies to name a few. There are a lot of other fish that would work in this size tank; but they can be hard to find.

Use AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor to figure out a base line stocking level.
Use Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums to find fish that can fit in your tank size.

6. Cycling - Can be done either fish in or fishless. They both work equally well, although fish in cycling can be a little more work.

Here are links to guides for both.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Everyone is shotgunning random things at you.. I'll try to address everything :)

1. Filter - I have 2 of these filters and they are exceedingly quiet. How noisy is it and what does the noise sound like?

A good brand of filter is an AquaClear. There are plenty of more affordable options out there such as marineland filters which are very quiet as well. All filters will make some noise though.

2. Substrate - There are a few cheap substrate options out there. I would suggest sticking with sand over gravel. I personally use one of 3 different types of sand in my tanks. Pool filter sand which is generally light brown. Black Diamond sandblasting sand which is black. and lastly is a silica sand which is very fine and white. I personally wouldn't use a white sand for planted tank because it gets dingy looking.

Eco complete is a good choice for black substrate, but is a little more coarse than I like and isn't necessary by any means for plant health.

Dirting a tank was mentioned earlier. You place down a layer of organic gardening soil approximately 1" deep and follow that with 1" - 2" of sand. It's not necessary but can make things a little easier for your root feeding plants.

3. Decor - Most people go with driftwood for planted tanks. You can buy it in the store, but I like to scavenge mine. If you're looking at buying it then either manzanita or mopani are the two most popular ones around right now.

4. Plants - With stock lighting you could do low light plants. These include Anubias, Cryptocoryne (Crypts), Java moss, Java Ferns, Anubias, and bolbitis. Here is a slightly more comprehensive list of low light plants.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

5. Fish - I would highly suggest a school of harlequin rasboras. Other good choices include a single dwarf gourami, cory cats, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, Guppies, and platies to name a few. There are a lot of other fish that would work in this size tank; but they can be hard to find.

Use AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor to figure out a base line stocking level.
Use Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums to find fish that can fit in your tank size.

6. Cycling - Can be done either fish in or fishless. They both work equally well, although fish in cycling can be a little more work.

Here are links to guides for both.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

I was gonna try but that's a **** good response. Listen to This!

I love my fish!!!

Fish wise, I would do a male betta, some harlequins, and some corydoras.

Bettas are generally pretty peaceful, but some are agrresive. I have actually found half moons to be less aggressive. Some will try and school with others, some will think it's feeding time.

Do I need to worry about the oxygen pump? For plants, how should organize the plant to create a carpet like?

I wouldn't worry about the O2 pump if you have ample surface disturbance.

For a carpet it is usually short plants in the front of the tank. For an easy carpet you can plant water wisteria horizontally and it will grow a carpet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do I need to worry about the oxygen pump? For plants, how should organize the plant to create a carpet like?

No air pump is needed.

The plants are all rated for their height in the tank. Foreground, mid ground, and back ground. The foreground are shorter and while there aren't any specific carpeting plants for your light level, some shorter plants such as crypts can be organized to form a sort of carpet.

No air pump is needed.

The plants are all rated for their height in the tank. Foreground, mid ground, and back ground. The foreground are shorter and while there aren't any specific carpeting plants for your light level, some shorter plants such as crypts can be organized to form a sort of carpet.

I've heard you can turn Wisteria on its side to make a "carpet"

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423927365.269287.jpg

I scouted from the store. Is fluval cp3 good?

Back
Top Bottom