I want to start breeding fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aceguerra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just bought a stand of six two foot tanks .
I'm not sure how to put them together what fish to breed as a beginner and al the rest that goes with it would like any info anyone has? Cheers

aceguerra said:
I've just bought a stand of six two foot tanks .
I'm not sure how to put them together what fish to breed as a beginner and al the rest that goes with it would like any info anyone has? Cheers

Hi and welcome!
Do you know how to cycle?
Here are some links for you to have a read through.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

It might be a good idea to start off with some hardy easy to care for fish to begin with (like livebearers) so you can get your head around tank maintenance and caring for fry.

I would start breeding platy or guppys. Which is livebearers like mumma suggested . Mostly guppys.

I have breed a batch of convicts bristlenoses before I've been a bit busy to keep up the pwc and I got a load of guppies and nothing happened

aceguerra said:
I have breed a batch of convicts bristlenoses before I've been a bit busy to keep up the pwc and I got a load of guppies and nothing happened

Guppies still need everything the same as convicts and bristlenoses to breed. Clean water and good food.

aceguerra said:

How long? Did u check the male/female ratio? And u mean fancy guppies correct? Fancy gupies are a bit hard to breed. I would start out with swordtails. They breed like wild fire!!! My female has gotten pregnant 5 times since last may.

Before you start breeding anything, be sure you have somewhere for all those fry to go. Are you selling to your lfs? Are you selling in on-line auctions? There's more to it than filling a tank with water and adding fish.

LyndaB said:
Before you start breeding anything, be sure you have somewhere for all those fry to go. Are you selling to your lfs? Are you selling in on-line auctions? There's more to it than filling a tank with water and adding fish.

Yes she is right make sure you have a place for them. I didnt know my fish would have so many!!

molly, platy, swordtail, guppy, endler.

all of these are livebearing fish, and are the best to start with on your aquatic breeding journey.
you said you have six tanks, so keep two empty for the fry when they are born... or three :)
livebearers are usually already pregnant when you get them from the store anyways (all of mine were)
my platy averages one birth every 4 weeks, and my biggest molly averages one every 5.5 :)
i usually get about 25-35 fry per birth (if i catch it)
you need hiding places if you dont plan on seperating the pregnant females
(i do the hiding places technique because i dont like to stress out mommy)
molly fry will swim close to the top because they like the light, so floating plants are recommended for fry cover (in my experiences, anyways)
and platy young will take cover in the gravel/bottom decorations

best of luck, and happy holidays! :)

Yeah had a batch off convicts and two batches of bristle nose.
I got rid of the male convict coz he started getting to much, none since the replacement. And the second bristle nose seemed still born, around two wks later the female died so yeah.
I think two of my five oscars have paired but not too sure and I need to do things to get them a tank for themselves.

aceguerra said:
Yeah had a batch off convicts and two batches of bristle nose.
I got rid of the male convict coz he started getting to much, none since the replacement. And the second bristle nose seemed still born, around two wks later the female died so yeah.
I think two of my five oscars have paired but not too sure and I need to do things to get them a tank for themselves.

Bristlenose Pleco? How big was the tank?

Back
Top Bottom