I wonder what happened... he died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wish I knew what I did wrong. Got the prettiest marble male betta from Petco (I know, but there are no other places close to me) a week ago. He was mellow, easy going and laid back. Didn't flare, but I thought he was just a gentle soul. Didn't look or act sick, just mellow.

Brought him home and acclimated him very carefully. Put him in the 10 gallon with my Harlequin Rasboras. Kept the light out for 24 hours so he would be stressed as little as possible. Water parameters were good--ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5. PH 7.6. Temperature 80.

Fed him breakfast the next day, and he ate slowly, but my past male betta ate slowly too, so I didn't think much of it. He wasn't terribly active, but not listless either. Over the next week I fed him brine shrimp, daphnia, NLS flakes and pellets, krill, Emerald Entree--just a good, varied diet.

He was slow yesterday, not moving as much. Stayed in his cave or near the top. I put him to bed, and this morning, there he was, on his side, gone. It happened that quick. I wish I knew what I did wrong, or didn't do what I should have. I am on city water, and even though I always use Prime, I'm wondering if they didn't add something that killed him. I'd done a water change two days before his death. I feel so bad--he was so sweet. I guess I just needed to vent a little, and see if anyone has any ideas so this won't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom