I would like to start having live plants in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all!

I am interested in converting my tank that is basically empty when it comes to decor, only housing a few plastic plants.

I bought a bamboo, which I now know is not truly aquatic.
Then, to make matters worse, some guy at Petsmart sold me a White Ribbon plant, which unfortunately looks absolutely gorgeous in my tank, but again, isn't aquatic.

I am looking for a low maintenance plant that is good for beginners.
I think a Java Fern would be good for me, but I am looking for something that is colorful like the White Ribbon plant I have. In other words, it doesn't need to be red, orange, purple, etc. Just I like the two-tone green.

http://i47.tinypic.com/10fn9sn.jpg

Basically, I am looking for a TRULY AQUATIC low maintenance plant that looks closest to the White Ribbon.

I hope that is not impossible to find.

I have just regular white Carib-Sea Super Naturals sand and a standard incandescent light that came with the tank. (20g Top Fin Starter Kit)

Thank you so much for helping me find a plant that I am looking for. It seems like all of the easy ones are just plain green. :/

Well i have hairgrass, and anubias great in my eyes but not many look like white ribbon. Now there is another plant but again it's not fully aquatic, so just go with what you think is nice.

You could try Golden Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummeleria 'Aurea'). It's not really variegated, but it's not the usual shade of green you see with most of the other low maintenance plants.
One other option, Variegated Sedge, which is not a true aquatic, would last for a while underwater, but you would need to replace it. Also, not sure it would work for low light like yours.

Thanks so much for the help and ideas, guys!!
I will have to look around at PlantGeek.com some more, but so
far I think I would go with some kind of Anubia. (I like the shape/look just not the color.)

As for what BigJim suggested- (about the two different plants) is a great idea, I would totally do that, but I can't seem to find a plant [suitable for my skill and lighting] that is a different shade of green! (than the ones in my tank currently)

Thanks for the help so far!!! :)

Check out aquariumplants.com. They've got more plants listed than plantgeek.com.

Not sure if it'd work for you, but my anubias nana is much lighter in color than my java fern. They're both healthy and growing quickly.

Thanks!
Okay, here's the breakdown of what I plan to do so far.

For a little space in the front of my tank, I would like to add an Anubias Nana.
Then, for the back of my tank I would like to add a tall plant... actual suggestions welcome.

I also like Amazon Swords a lot, but I know they are a bit more challenging, require at least medium lighting, and grow quite large.

Anyways, let me know if an anyone can think of a plant that is...
•Available in most pet stores
•Medium-Tall in height (Doesn't really have to get too tall, but ya know, medium.)
•Low Light
•Beginner Care
•No CO2 requirements or special substrate
•Liquid Ferts are OK.

Opinions welcome on the front Anubias Nana and the back "tall plant".

Thanks!! :D
P.S. Is it possible to "trim" plants once they start growing too large/tall/wide for my tank space? I'm not sure how this is done.

Thanks again :)

Amazon swords get huge. I currently have two growing out the top of my 29g.

The Petco by me has a halfway decent selection of plants. Avoid the mixed bundles since they're mostly swamp, not aquatic, plants. Their potted plants are pretty good. Petsmart is hit or miss. Some have good plants.

Anacharis is a good starter plant. It's a stem plant that grows really tall, but you can cut the stems with a scissors and replant the top. It's really common in the shops around me.

Crypts can grow rather tall. I've seen them in Petco, but my wife says I'm not allowed to buy any more plants until I get her tank properly set up. At the moment I'm using it to store all my extra cuttings while I set up my 40B.

Trimming plants isn't very hard. Most stem plants can be cut and the tops can be replanted. Rhizome plants can be propagated by cutting the rhizome in pieces that have some leaves and roots. Runner plants can be separated by cutting the runners. Planted tanks have to be trimmed or they'd just turn into a crowded green mess.

Amazon swords get huge. I currently have two growing out the top of my 29g.
Yep. I am aware of this. That's one of the reasons why I can't get a Sword.

Anacharis is a good starter plant. It's a stem plant that grows really tall, but you can cut the stems with a scissors and replant the top. It's really common in the shops around me.
I kinda like this plant. I will look for it at my local Petco and Petsmart.

Crypts can grow rather tall.
I looked it up on Google Images to see what it looks like and basically all the pictures look different. I will have to further look into this plant.

Trimming plants isn't very hard. Most stem plants can be cut and the tops can be replanted. Rhizome plants can be propagated by cutting the rhizome in pieces that have some leaves and roots. Runner plants can be separated by cutting the runners. Planted tanks have to be trimmed or they'd just turn into a crowded green mess.
I lost you after the first sentence. Sorry if I'm a pain, but I am just beginning at the whole plant thing and have no clue what your talking about. I looked up "Rhizome" and it's something about a horizontal stem? What is propagated? Runner plants? Sorry, but I'm new to this.

Last but not least,
Thank you everyone who has helped me immensly so far! Everyone provided great info and I really appreciate the help in this very confusing time.

propagated basically just means multiplied. making new plants from the first one. Runners are little shoots of the plant that grow along the surface of the dirt for a little distance than roots in the ground and grows a new plant. Vals do that to propagate. the rhizome is a horizontal stem at the base of the plant and the plants grow off of that like java fern.

Stem plants are plants that grow single stems. Anacharis is a stem plant. When anacharis gets too tall, just cut it to your desired height and plant the top part that you cut off. Stem plants may also be called bunch plants in the store since they're sold in bunches of stems.

Rhizome plants grow out of a rhizome, basically a horizontal stem. Java ferns and anubias are rhizome plants. The rhizome shouldn't be buried, but these plants do a great job of attaching to driftwood and other materials. These plants can be propagated by cutting the rhizome into pieces. Just make sure each chunk of rhizome has a few leaves and some roots.

Runner plants multiply by sending out a special horizontal stem that starts another plant next to the mother plant. Chain sword grows this way. Simply clip the runner at both ends and plant the baby.

Live plants are a slippery slope. First you want something easy, then you see something else that you want, but it won't do well in your tank, so you have to upgrade lighting and add CO2. Then you start ordering plants online because the LFS doesn't carry anything interesting anymore. Welcome to the addiction.

hornwort is a good low-light beginner plant, java fern to. Our Petsmart has both of them. Don't throw your bamboo and ribbon plant yet. I been keeping bamboo in my fish tanks for years. Plant it in your send, it will root and stay healthy for years as long as some of the leaves are above the water. Ribbon plant can survive underwater for months. It will add some nice green to your fish tank until your real aquatic plants will get established.

Thanks for the info guys :)
About propagating...
If I do not wish (at the time) to have my plants multiply, (no space in the tank, really!) Should I just not cut the Rhizome?

Also, I wish to plant my plants into the substrate... can I not do this with Anubias? I am aware that Java Ferns really need to be attached to driftwood, but what about like an Anubias Nana? Can I plant the roots in the substrate and just leave the horizontal stem out???

I would like to plant an Anubias Nana on the foreground, a tall plant in the back, (still haven't decided) and perhaps a medium one in the corner.

I planted one on a rock and I put one in the gravel. They are both doing great. My gravel is sorta large so that's why it works in my tank. I'm thinking that it can't grab onto the sand like it can with larger pieces.

I was thinking of placing a rock or something in the sand for the roots to grab onto. I got that suggestion from another site. What do you guys think?
I may just plant it above the sand, like on a decorative rock, but I just don't really love that look.

Also, I think I have narrowed down my plant choiced to...

Cryptocoryne Willisii
Anubias Afzelii (I have heard GREAT things about this one)
Anubias Nana

^Opinions?

Back
Top Bottom