Ich again. Good grief

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
:banghead:Okay, maybe I just need to vent here. My 20g betta tank has ich. Cycled, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5 (that's my tap water for ya), ph 7.6, co2 injection, all plants doing amazing, fish doing well, temp 77 and holding. No power outages. Lights on for the same time daily. Maybe too much light? 75 watt from 7a to 7p. However, this is just a light fixture laying over the top of the tank, so much of the light is lost in the room. There are only 4 fish in this tank! Watching my babies this evening, I noticed that my male and female betta have ich. This is sooo distressing. I added 2 neon tetras last week, but none of them have ich (yet). The bettas are older in the tank, but have it first. This tells me it is the tank that is causing ich, and not my lfs bringing it. I think. :banghead:

I guess that your neon tetras had ich (unknowingly) and it got to the bettas first. Usually if you don't QT fish first, they carry diseases that can spread to your entire tank.

I would suggest boosting the temp.

What about plants? Do those need quarantined as well? I mean, when we purchase plants, either from a big business or a private seller, we do not know what their water contains.

lpn4 said:
What about plants? Do those need quarantined as well? I mean, when we purchase plants, either from a big business or a private seller, we do not know what their water contains.

Usually a good 30 second dip in hydrogen peroxide gets all the nasties off plants. However some diseases arent that easy to kill, so like fish, 1-2 months.

Realistically though, how many people really QT plants or fish for a month? Or even a few weeks (plants)? QTing some plants would even require a QT that has adequate lighting capable of keeping them alive.

Just wondering how realistic the advice really is, I'm sure some people do month long QT's on their plants and fish but I'm thinking it's more likely that most do not even come close to that, and it seems like people sometimes treat QT advice as a 'do as I say not as I do' sort of thing.

I usually QT fish for a week to two weeks, plants go in almost immediately after a good rinse/treatment if needed. I'm blessed with tons of fish tanks so it's easy for me to do an extended QT if needed, but if I was just working with display tanks and maybe a QT or two I couldn't see doing that as easily.

jetajockey said:
Realistically though, how many people really QT plants or fish for a month? Or even a few weeks (plants)? QTing some plants would even require a QT that has adequate lighting capable of keeping them alive.

Just wondering how realistic the advice really is, I'm sure some people do month long QT's on their plants and fish but I'm thinking it's more likely that most do not even come close to that, and it seems like people sometimes treat QT advice as a 'do as I say not as I do' sort of thing.

I usually QT fish for a week to two weeks, plants go in almost immediately after a good rinse/treatment if needed. I'm blessed with tons of fish tanks so it's easy for me to do an extended QT if needed, but if I was just working with display tanks and maybe a QT or two I couldn't see doing that as easily.

I just base it off one members experience. If I recall, they got a disease after introducing plants to their with just one month of QT and remember its supposed to be two or more. I will try to find the post or thread where they say that, very reputable person too.

Back
Top Bottom