Ich and I have to go away for a week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yardjass

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

This is the problem that is being presented to me. I have a 2 inch baby Jack Dempsey that is currently in a five gallon tank with an air pump and heater but no filtration. I have been setting up a 40 breeder for the past month or so for it that I want to put it in. This would be filtered. The Jack has had ich and I have been treating it for about five days now with 25% water changes with a gravel vac, jungle ich guard daily, and I have freshwater salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. When I first realized it, the fish only had two spots, which fell off the next day. The day after, it had about five and last night I found one spot. I don't understand why they keep coming back as I have been doing everything that I can for it and the infection doesn't appear that severe. Although unfiltered, the tank water is not dirty at all. There are probably about two pieces of dempsey poo in the whole thing right now. Seems pretty managable except for the fact that I will be leaving town on December 26th or 27th for about a week. I am concerned that if things aren't sorted out by then, the ich will get out of hand because I will not be here to keep an eye on it.

I did some reading indicating that Ich can not survive at temperatures above 86 degrees and that Jack Dempseys may do okay up to 88 degrees and perhaps even higher (aggression is not an issue, the fish is alone. Anyway, my plan right now is to crank the temperature in the 40 breeder to 86 and add salt, the Jack and one treatment of the ich medication right before I leave. I am concerned that the fish won't survive at a temperature that high though. I will have waterfall filtration and an air stone for oxygen but 86 is far higher than I have ever taken any fish. Can anyone confirm that this is a good approach or offer any alternate advice?

Fish usually get attacked by ich when they are stressed and weakened by the stress. He might be stressing out in the 5 gal tank.

You should try treating it with heat along with your ich meds. Raise the temp. up to 86 degrees gradually. (2 degrees every 4 hours or so).

That will be difficult as I don't have a digital thermometer. The one in the 5g actually is a walmart one that auto sets. The one in the 40 is analog but has temperature readings and it claims to be accurate within 1 degree. I got a top for xmas that it turns out requires a center brace (I don't even think they make 40's with those). Anyway, I could put him in without the top and give heat a shot or leave him in the 5 so that my parents who know nothing about fish can treat him easier while I am gone. He is only 2 inches with the fins so the 5 shouldn't be giving him a problem but heat is worth a shot. Either way, thanks for the advice. Maybe I can ghetto rig a center brace or something. :)

Well, here's the latest development. I maxed the heater in the 40 (the jack is still in the 5). It claims to be a heater for a 55 gallon, 200 watts I think, but it is only capable of getting the tank up to 80. Maybe this is because there is no cover? Epic fail either way...

Oh I forgot to mention the dial on the heater goes up to exactly 86. Accurate to one degree my arse.

Back
Top Bottom