ICH and UV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfishguy56

Aquarium Advice Activist
From all the ich problem posts i've read, how come no one ever mentions the benefits of connecting a UV sterilizer? Do people even use UV sterilization anymore? I know it's not a cure all, but when i began this wonderfully fun, but bank-breaking hobby over thirteen years ago, I kept having major ich problems, lots of innocent fish lost their lives due to my newbieness and "i can do whatever the heck i want" attitude and "i don't have to read books, I know what i'm doing" ignorance, but ever since I discovered UV sterilization, i haven't had an ich outbreak since the summer of 1995. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Please don't ask me how I can remember the dates, but i'm one of those people who can remember the most useless of information. Anyway, I wouldn't ever set up another saltwater aquarium without a UV light. Nowadays, my fish live long and happy lives. Some of my fish are 5 to 6 years old. And all of them have outlasted all of my romantical relationships. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing :) Anyway, my point is, I swear by UV sterilization, without it I would've given up on this hobby years ago voluntarily, or because of bankruptcy. Just my two cents, of course.

From all the ich problem posts i've read, how come no one ever mentions the benefits of connecting a UV sterilizer?

I do not use one, simply because I do not feel they are necessary, proper quarantine will prevent the intoduction of ick, therefore the UV would be superfluous. While they may not be sounding off, I know several reefers that will not set-up a tank without one, I'm just not one of them.

Back
Top Bottom