ich help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
my Chinese alge eater has a patch of ich on its head my teps normaly at 78 i bumped iit up to 80-81 i only have ten bucks a and cant go go lfs till wensday or friday help please

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

I've treated ich in the past with just heat. If you raise your temp to 86 and leave it there for several days after you no longer see any ich you can effectively treat your tank. Ich's lifecycle is greatly affected by heat. The higher temps speed up it's lifecycle and it also prevents it from reproducing. You're not actually killing the ich at those temps. You're speeding up their natural death and preventing them from reproducing. You have to be careful about how quickly you raise and lower your temp. Also, some snails have difficulty surviving the high temps. My mystery snails survived 1 week of treatment at those temps. I haven't seen ich in my tank since then.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

+1 to OhNeil

Wolfpack: You might have more money if you would ditch the Vortex. lol Teasing! :p

Like OhNeil stated, the heat alone should do the trick to spead up the lifecycle of the Ich. Patience is key though. Even w/ using meds, Ich can hang around for awhile, (which I'm sure you're aware of). My last outbreak took 2 weeks to clear up and I was using Ich Attack w/ the temp set at 86F.

Best of luck!

McLumpy said:
+1 to OhNeil

Wolfpack: You might have more money if you would ditch the Vortex. lol Teasing! :p

Like OhNeil stated, the heat alone should do the trick to spead up the lifecycle of the Ich. Patience is key though. Even w/ using meds, Ich can hang around for awhile, (which I'm sure you're aware of). My last outbreak took 2 weeks to clear up and I was using Ich Attack w/ the temp set at 86F.

Best of luck!

lol how long u think itl take useinf pure heat

lol how long u think itl take useinf pure heat

I would assume that it would take longer than using meds or salt w/ the increased temp. I couldn't tell you for sure as I've never tried the heat only method. OhNeil could give you info on how long it took him, but honestly, it also depends on a few other factors. For example; the extent of the outbreak, (how many fish show signs of having Ich), and how well your heater performs, (fluctuation in temps could delay speeding up the Ich's lifecycle).

Just remember to increase the temp slowly and hopefully you can make it to your LFS soon to get some meds.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Back
Top Bottom