Ich HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Noticed today my rummynose in my 55 gallon had ich all over him so I got him out none of my other fish seem to be showing signs of it but I want to treat to be safe. I have a hang off the back aqueon power flow 55/75 with carbon inserts I know I need to remove the carbon but how do I go about doing this?

I bought medicine today so I was going to try and use that have you had any experiance with that. I also heard adding a little salt would help already starting raising temp before the post.

Started treatment today with the API meds will test water every 12 hours for the next 6 days during treatment. Lost the rummynose already other fish started showing small signs today. Wish my luck hopefully I don't lose any more of my buddies.

I've been raising it slowly since I found the ich at about 80 degrees right now generally keep it at about 76-77. Don't want to stress the fish by raising it too fast.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I've been raising it slowly since I found the ich at about 80 degrees right now generally keep it at about 76-77. Don't want to stress the fish by raising it too fast.

I read you wont stress them as long as its not more than 2degrees f per hour

I'm about topped out on my heater not sure how hot it's gonna get might only make about 82

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I'm about topped out on my heater not sure how hot it's gonna get might only make about 82

Mine did the same thing but I put some tin foil around the tank and it got it there

If you are using medication it isn't necessary to reach 86, If you are planning to not use medication then to get your temperature high enough you can try wrapping your tank in towels or blankets, it keeps the heat in and raises the temp quite a bit. I would recommend using only the higher temp as a treatment, it takes about two weeks but is more natural and you don't have to worry about any of your fish being sensitive to medications. To do this you will have to maintain a constant temperature of 86-87

86 keeps ich from spreading and reproducing and 88 kills it. Not many fish tolerate 88, so i tried 86 but my pecock eel hated the high temp so i brought it down to 81. Then i used kordons natural formula ich attack and it worked amazing. Ich was gone in 4 days :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
86 keeps ich from spreading and reproducing and 88 kills it. Not many fish tolerate 88, so i tried 86 but my pecock eel hated the high temp so i brought it down to 81. Then i used kordons natural formula ich attack and it worked amazing. Ich was gone in 4 days :)

Yes 88 kills ich, but so does 86. My leopard ctenopoma, Botia loachs, angel, rams, and gold nugget all survived 3 solid weeks of 85 and half salt doses. 85 degrees stops ICH reproduction. I say that's the best and safest way to go. Also lights off to relieve stress, and gravel vac daily. All natural, no more ich.

Hmm i have been told differantly. I know that 86-88 is the best place for your temp to be if your fish can tolerate it. Honestly last time i had ich in my freshwater tank we just cranked up the heater and left it alone. Probably not the best way to do it, but it worked

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hmm i have been told differantly. I know that 86-88 is the best place for your temp to be if your fish can tolerate it. Honestly last time i had ich in my freshwater tank we just cranked up the heater and left it alone. Probably not the best way to do it, but it worked

Yes, I didn't mean any disrespect, I should have said in my opinion. I wanted to make it a little easier in my fish, and I found 85 was enough to take care of the problem. 86-88 will take care of the issue no questions, unless you have the heat resistant stain. IMO I didn't feel my angel would make it any higher.

Haha you know it was kinda funny when i turned my temp up that high you could tell there was a behavior change in my fish. The eel hated it and hid all the time, but my angel fish and glowlight tetras really seemed to thrive and were very active! :p

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Haha you know it was kinda funny when i turned my temp up that high you could tell there was a behavior change in my fish. The eel hated it and hid all the time, but my angel fish and glowlight tetras really seemed to thrive and were very active! :p

Lucky you, my angel started swimming sideways at 86, so I bumbed it down. I was like, noooooooo, because this is the first big box angel fish I've been able to keep alive and healthy for a year.

Back
Top Bottom