Ich!!! I think...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just notices small, white dots on ALL my fish in my tank. I am bout sure it's Ich. What to do???

Just notices small, white dots on ALL my fish in my tank. I am bout sure it's Ich. What to do???

If the white dots resemble salt grains ... which is what it sounds like ... then yes, I'd say it's ich. Follow Mumma.of.two's advice and you should be good to go.

I've raised the temp to about 80. It was late last night when I realized it. So when I get home I will do a really good vacuum of the gravel and change water and begin to raise the temp some more. Below is a list of my fish.

Infected:
- 2 Peppered Corys
- 2 Iridescent Sharks
- 1 Four lined cat

Not sure:
- 1 Ropefish
- 1 Lace cat

So I shouldn't get medication to treat the tank?? I can't do the salt med since I have the cory cats.

I just got over a battle with Ick, I followed directions from here with salt and heat, they seemed to work over time but i still lost 10 fish so be prepared.

Once Ich is killed out in a tank completely, as long as I don't add anything new. Will my fish ever have it again??

Once Ich is killed out in a tank completely, as long as I don't add anything new. Will my fish ever have it again??

From what I've read, once you eradicate ich, it should be gone from the tank ... with proper PWC's, and Gravel vacs as well as treatment.
However, introducing new fish could lead to a new infestation ... which is why QT for new stock is so important.

i think they can get it again. wish I could find that source...
but here is what I remember (someone please correct me if I am wrong)
ich can be caused by stress. it doesn't always have to come from a sick fish, so yes you can get it again. however if your tank is running smoothly, water remains good, etc then you should be fine. I think the "ich" bug or whatever it is is something that all fish carry at all times - kind of like a bacteria that we have in us, but is not always bad. does this make sense?
I will do some research and see if I can find that source...

Nemo6292 said:

If cured correctly it will not come back unless reintroduced. Ich is a parasite that can be killed with just high heat. You don't need salt if you cant use it. Make sure the temp is at or sbove 86F. Any lower will just increase the ich life cycle not stop it. Stress can cause an ich outbreak but only if it's present in the tank to begin with. Keep your water extra clean. Where the ich leaves the fishes body is an open wound that can get infected.

Slowly raising temps to 86 degrees. My fish are completely normal in their actions. Swimming around and acting like nothing is wrong. I had two rams a week ago. They both died just days after I got them. BUT! While they were in the tank they kept "scraping" themselves on the decorations, heater, etc. I thought they were just doing that to mark their territory. But I think it's because they had Ich and brought it with them. I do not QT because I don't have an extra tank. They seemed very happy, ate well and were active. Both died while I was asleep. All my fish now, every single one, has Ich, I think! but they all are active and eating as normal.

Nemo6292 said:
. I had two rams a week ago. They both died just days after I got them. BUT! While they were in the tank they kept "scraping" themselves on the decorations, heater, etc. I thought they were just doing that to mark their territory. But I think it's because they had Ich and brought it with them. my fish now, every single one, has Ich, I think! but they all are active and eating as normal.

Looks like you found your culprits... Moving forward, a qt tank can even be a plastic rubbermaid bin with a heater and airstone, Though a simple 5 gal tank will do.

Say I have a rubber lipped pleco and an albino rainbow and two opaline gouramis. Will the high temp of 86 degrees kill them? Also are those fish ok to just use meds with?

jkdubs2 said:
Say I have a rubber lipped pleco and an albino rainbow and two opaline gouramis. Will the high temp of 86 degrees kill them? Also are those fish ok to just use meds with?

They are fine with the higher heat. Almost all fish are. Remember to increase aeration. The warmer the water the less oxygen. The pleco and the rainbow (shark? I'm assuming) could be sensitive to meds as well as salt. IMO its better to take the more natural approach - higher temps.

You have to be careful with certain fish and high temps, be sure to research their needs before you try anything, always make sure that you increase tge aeration because oxygen does not desolve well in higher temps.

Mumma.of.two said:
They are fine with the higher heat. Almost all fish are. Remember to increase aeration. The warmer the water the less oxygen. The pleco and the rainbow (shark? I'm assuming) could be sensitive to meds as well as salt. IMO its better to take the more natural approach - higher temps.

Ok cool so I'll just raise it a few degrees a day until its at 86 degrees. And I have a canister filter with added hob power filter and lots of plants in my 55g with a decreased water level will that be enough aeration?. Luckily I found it really early so the high temps should work fast enough that my fish won't die hopefully. sound like everything?

jkdubs2 said:
Ok cool so I'll just raise it a few degrees a day until its at 86 degrees. And I have a canister filter with added hob power filter and lots of plants in my 55g with a decreased water level will that be enough aeration?. Luckily I found it really early so the high temps should work fast enough that my fish won't die hopefully. sound like everything?

A degree an hour is fine. Sounds like enough aeration. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom