Ich in Pygmy Cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Naowyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
IMG_3437.jpg

Hi guys,

I just noticed one of my 8 cories looking like this. Patches of white on his normally black head. So I'm wondering if 1. 's ich or something else? 2.How could this have happened? 3. And what is the best treatment for my little friends?

A bit about the tank:
The tank is a 15 gallon (60 L) planted tank housing 3 golden otos, 8 Pygmy cories and 12 Danio erythromicron. They have been there for a year and nothing new has been added to the tank since January when I got a new plant.

PH is 7,8. Ammonia and No2 is 0.
Filter is Superfish 200 with carbon.

Temperature has been fluctuating between 23,5- 25,7 C due to weather changes (living room gets quite warm with the sun) but that's not too bad.

Only real difference is that I was busy with sick kids and the tank missed a water change (I do 25% every week normally) and The other day I noticed tiny white creatures moving on the glass...

Sorry about the poor picture but the fish is tiny

Hope someone can help out IMG_3427.jpg

Editing: tiny creatures are most likely deitrus or flatworms they are fine, wotn do anything. as for the golden oto, I have never heard of that? does it resemble I Chinese golden algae eater (google)? By your description it does sound like ich but a better high qual. picture would help out highly.
Thanks
Nate

Editing: tiny creatures are most likely deitrus or flatworms they are fine, wotn do anything. as for the golden oto, I have never heard of that? does it resemble I Chinese golden algae eater (google)? By your description it does sound like ich but a better high qual. picture would help out highly.
Thanks
Nate

I'll try getting a better picture.
Do you have any experience with ich and treatment?

Golden otocinclus is otocinclus affinis.

Naowyn

Yes ich is fairly simple to treat, to me its an overlooked disease but it can turn bad If you let it spread.

Rather than using the above commenters given medication, do you have a qt tank? if so put the fish in there and crank the heat to 84 degrees. Ich and leftover bacteria will have a harder time spreading and living in that water, their lifecycles go by faster and quicker in hotter environments, leading it not to be able to reproduce and have offspring. If you don't have qt tank use this method Natural Ich cure? - Fish for the Planted Aquarium - Aquatic Plant Central

Rather than using the above commenters given medication, do you have a qt tank? if so put the fish in there and crank the heat to 84 degrees. Ich and leftover bacteria will have a harder time spreading and living in that water, their lifecycles go by faster and quicker in hotter environments, leading it not to be able to reproduce and have offspring. If you don't have qt tank use this method Natural Ich cure? - Fish for the Planted Aquarium - Aquatic Plant Central

This was the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you!

However, you mean to put the fish in the QT tank and then put the heat up in there? Won't the ich stay in the regular tank? For how long do I do this? And won't the high temperature be dangerous for my rather sensitive fish?

Thank you

This was the kind of answer I was looking for, thank you!

However, you mean to put the fish in the QT tank and then put the heat up in there? Won't the ich stay in the regular tank? For how long do I do this? And won't the high temperature be dangerous for my rather sensitive fish?

Thank you

please forgive me I just woke up lol :facepalm:, what type of fish is it again? If you do a good 50-75 percent wc every week in the other tank, unless you see signs you should be good.

Back
Top Bottom