Ich miss information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrice

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can i leave my shrimps and snails in a small backup tanks for 4 weeks to kill the parasite? Reason for that is, parasite do not live with out a host. so no fish no ich.

Can ich go in a dormant phase to survive?

Can the parasite survive out of the water, if reintroduce in the water later?

Snail have a soft body expose to the water. logically they can be infected right. so they only way to kill ich on snail is 86.f water right?

Inverts can not get ich. No need to remove anything from you tank to treat. Turn the temperature to 86-88F and that will 'cure' the ich. It usually takes 2-3 weeks. If you let equipment dry out completely the ich will not survive.
As far as I know it can not go dormant to survive but it can exist in small numbers in a tank (on fish) and pop up when a fish is sick or stressed. Once completely cured/eradicated from a tank it will not come back except if reintroduced by new fish,etc.

Last edited:
+ 1 on what Mumma said. It does not have a dormant phase--they've proved that one in the lab. The "reports" folks give of ich going dormant in their tanks are either because they introduced new fish, or because they didn't treat it long enough to kill it all so a small colony survived that was minor enough the fish could handle it until something stressed them out, triggering a situation where the ich could get a good foothold again. Treating for a week to two weeks after the last signs of ich are gone will definitely ensure it's dead.

Ok tank you, still i am septic about snail. I do understand that shells don't nourish ich. So in theory, leaving it alone for 4 weeks in a small tank will kill the ich that are on the shell, because it have no food to survive. But they do have a expose soft body when roaming for food making it a bearer. Can there expose body be infected. Are they immune from ich?

Back
Top Bottom