Ich outbreak in tank - HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbenoit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
I'm very new. Just posted my intro last week. I have a 10 gallon fresh water setup. Finally got the water quality up, and added fish. Yesterday we noticed the tiny white spots on our: dwarf guarami, spotted molly, panda molly, marble molly.

The panda and marble were added on Saturday. Could they have been sick when we added them to the tank?

Anyhow, Went to Petco last night - the only ich treatment they had was Ich Attack - which is labeled as an all natural product. Does anyone have experience using this product?! I went through some old threads, and I found Quick Cure being recommended, but Petco didn't have that.

So far I have:
Increased the temp in the tank from 74 degrees to 76. I was told to increase it by 1-2 degree's per day until reaching 82?
Put in 1 dose of Ich Attack.
Added 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt (half recommended dosage).

The person at Petco told me to wait on water changes until the Ich Attack treatment was completed, but that sounds insane and counter productive to me. Should I be doing water changes every day?

Please help. I've only had these poor fish for a week (or two - for the others). My pleco's (2) appear to be unaffected.

More info about my tank. It's a Aqueon 10 gallon glass, with the quiet flow filter, 2 fake plants, 3 real plants, 1 rock, 1 bamboo plant.

Thanks for any help. I just got started and already my poor fish are threatened.

im right there with you. I have lost 4 cardinal tetra's today in my 29g top fin kit. I went to the local petsmart to get Seachem's Paragaurd which from research is what I decided to go with. They didnt have that so after talking to what seemed a pretty knowledgeable person at the store I am going the all natural route. I have raised my temps every two hours and put aquarium salt into a clean container with a few holes drilled into it so that the salt with dissolve over time and wont be a big bang here's your salt! Now time will tell, hopefully the rest of tank will hang in there.

Thinking good thoughts for you and your fish.

I haven't had any losses as of yet **knock on wood**. I have used Ich Attack per the bottle, slowly raised the temp over the last two days, added aquarium salt at 50% of directions and started doing daily water changes.

I don't really see a change in my fishes appearance or demeanor. I'm just hoping they will begin to get better.

im right there with you. I have lost 4 cardinal tetra's today in my 29g top fin kit. I went to the local petsmart to get Seachem's Paragaurd which from research is what I decided to go with. They didnt have that so after talking to what seemed a pretty knowledgeable person at the store I am going the all natural route. I have raised my temps every two hours and put aquarium salt into a clean container with a few holes drilled into it so that the salt with dissolve over time and wont be a big bang here's your salt! Now time will tell, hopefully the rest of tank will hang in there.
I lost my dwarf Gourami Spongebob (my 4 year old named him) last night. I'm really bummed. He had been struggling all day yesterday and seemed to not be able to find the food at feeding time even when it was right above him. :(

Did a 20% change this morning, added a little more aquarium salt, and notched up the temp a bit more. The 3 mollies in the tank seem to be much happier and more active, although they still have spots. I really hope this starts to clear up.

Back
Top Bottom