Ich qt help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My cardinals been ill for week or so now and notice that he and one of my clowns now got ich. I've read the post on here and want go down hyposalinity path so I've got tank and stuff to put fish into.
Do I just fill the qt with water from the dt, do I need filter as I ain't got anything to seed tank with as only live rock in dt.
How long before I can start hypo after put fish in qt and do you only doit for 4 weeks after it's gone from fish. Any info will be great thanks

One other thing do you use tank water for water changes or fresh water

Well fish are looking like they getting over it them selfs but still going do hypo or is that a waste of time as it's dropped off so should I just move fish to qt and let tank sit for 4-6 weeks

You can put the fish in QT and hypo right away. Big drops in salinity are not bad. Big jumps up are, so you have to bring it back up slowly when that time comes.

If you do not have anything to add beneficial bacteria, you have to watch your parameters closely and be ready to do water changes. When possible, its always a good idea to have something like a little sponge or filter with your display tank that you can pull over into the QT when needed.

I would leave the display fallow for 6-8 weeks. Odds are, your fish will be better long before then, but you will be bringing the salinity back up slowly and the extra time in QT should not hurt them.

I would use new water for changes.

QT going forward and you should never have to do the fallow DT again.

Cheers for info. Well the tank I'm going use is my old 33 gal got filter but thrown the pads away but have spare so going put one in my sump but don't know which ones to use as got about 5 different ones, thinking just blue course and white polypad ones.

I started the hobby totally wrong but learning the best ways do things as I go so lucky not lose fish at min as seems like everything at once, well in a way it's a good thing as want add more rock and change the dt around so can do that till tanks ready for fish. I was thinking about getting qt for when I get some more fish after I finish the rock work as the lfs fish don't always look that good anymore and it's the best one close to me.

Will the ph drop and what's best to do/use to bring it up if it happens

The trick to keeping PH up while doing a hyposalinity treatment is to use remineralized ro di water or treated tap water . If you use straight rodi water which has no buffers or minerals the ph will swing. When I set up my hypo tank for new fish I always use tap and never have ph issues .

What you mean by remineralized ro di water? Don't really want use tap water even if it treated.

Keep in mind that you need to get a refractometer to do hypo it can't be done with a regular hydrometer because its not accurate enough

Cheers, I've read them not long ago and notice says will died of in two weeks but everywhere else says 4 weeks

Cheers, I've read them not long ago and notice says will died of in two weeks but everywhere else says 4 weeks

Don't try and skip any timeframe under any circumstances. If you want ich GONE for good then you need to see it through.

Think about it..... What is 9 weeks of fish keeping when you measure it against the years and years of pleasure you will have from keeping healthy fish and lower the risks of any wipeouts.

I'm in no rush why I'm going through hypo and no quick fix. Only thing I'm worried about is the ph dropping when doing it.

Well thinking start with every two days will do wc, qt is 30 gal so do 4 -5 gal every time

Will I need a powerhead in the qt tank as don't seem enough flow but got all the surface moving.

I usually don't have much flow in mine. Right now I have a 45g holding tank with a small HOB filter and a nano power head. Have unfortunately had my fish in there for a few weeks now (not treating, just trying to get my 240v up). Everyone is doing fine.

So I've started to lower salt levels and today I've tested water and ph says its 7.6 - 7.8, alk is 7, ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 10-20. So think my ro water is bit low on the ph and alk side of things so can I add seachem reef builder to my ro water to help bring the levels back up or is there anything else can use.

Back
Top Bottom