Ich reared its ugly head, what else can I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Unfortunately one of my guys has ich, just noticed yesterday. Hes the only one and the spots were so faint, but im 100% sure and i confirmed with my lfs. Since i do not have a separate tank and the others are exposed i am treating everyone with higher temp and salt.

Did a 20% pwc, vacuumed sub, added trace elements, slowly raising temp to 86 and added aquarium salt. Everyone is doing fine, no signs of stress and only one has the ich spots. Hopefully it will clear out in 10 days. Going to skip on feeding today. I got a bottle of quick cure as a last resort as i do not want to stain my silicone and tubing.

After raising the temperature the spots are very prominant now compared to it 24 hours ago. Are they going to fall off his body? My tank is salted and temperature is slowly creeping to 86. What else can I do?

Thanks

It usually gets worse before it gets better. Nothing to worry about yet. Sounds like you have it under control.

Sounds like that's what's happening

If my tank is heated and properly salted, is there a chance the others might get it? I have noticed two others flashing, they weren't doing it all the time, watched them for a hour and only seen each of them do it once

There is definitely a chance the others could get it since they where exposed. Keep up the treatment for at least a week just as a precaution.

(y)

These guys are tough, I know they can survive this and come out of this stronger!

i noticed them coming up to the surface for air, ive already lowered my water level and the output water is breaking the surface creating bubbles as well as my wave maker. Should i continue to keep water temp? its at 86 right now.

Have they stopped gasping since you increased surface agitation?

it always had surface agitation, i just noticed them starting to do this, tested water parameters and its all fine. Only my smallest and the runt of the crew stays at the bottom, i observed everyone come up for air. I decreased my temp a little, maybe 1 degree? I should have enough salt in there to kill the ich once it falls off that one guy

Are they constantly at the top, gasping on the bottom or just going to the surface occasionally and acting normal otherwise? Decreasing the temp below 86 might not stop the ich and you could have a recurrence later on. What type of fish are they?

Are they constantly at the top, gasping on the bottom or just going to the surface occasionally and acting normal otherwise? Decreasing the temp below 86 might not stop the ich and you could have a recurrence later on. What type of fish are they?

they come up occasionally, they are not hanging out on top but they come up for a sec, then go down and do their thing and a little while later come up. its mostly 3 of them (8 total). I have peacock cichlids

Sounds borderline IMO. Should be fine for now but if they get worse or they all start doing it I'd drop the temp.

What do you mean by boarderline? That they might not survive? :bawl:

maybe ill just get a bubbler tomorrow. Just fed them and they are all feeding and look hungry so i guess thats good. Ich developed on my sunshine peacock on friday, and water just came to temp this morning and i was periodically dosing salt until i reached max dosage this afternoon. The ich on the sunshine is very apparent now...Fingers crossed that this treatment will work

What do you mean by boarderline? That they might not survive? :bawl: maybe ill just get a bubbler tomorrow. Just fed them and they are all feeding and look hungry so i guess thats good. Ich developed on my sunshine peacock on friday, and water just came to temp this morning and i was periodically dosing salt until i reached max dosage this afternoon. The ich on the sunshine is very apparent now...Fingers crossed that this treatment will work

I mean whether there's an issue with the lack of oxygen. Not if they are going to roll over or not :) A bubblers a good idea. They come in handy. Its good they are eating and acting normal. Since the tanks just come up to temp today expect to see the ich worsen in the next few days before it starts to clear. Remember to leave the temp up after it's gone because it can reappear because of the life cycle.

I mean whether there's an issue with the lack of oxygen. Not if they are going to roll over or not :) A bubblers a good idea. They come in handy. Its good they are eating and acting normal. Since the tanks just come up to temp today expect to see the ich worsen in the next few days before it starts to clear. Remember to leave the temp up after it's gone because it can reappear because of the life cycle.

(y)

going for a full 13 days. today being day 1. I adjusted my output flow a bit higher and it looks like they are not gasping as much, a few just swim near the top and back down. Most of them are just moving substrate around as usual

update:

The ICH is falling off the sunshine that originally had it. He lost 3/4 of the ICH on him. I vacuumed the sand and did a 5G WC today, matched the temperature best i can within 1-2 degree and replaced salts. Most of the other fish seem immune but i might have noticed 1 or 2 dots on two other peacocks, not sure if im being paranoid but no big breakouts. Will continue heat and sat for next 8 days. Going to get a bubbler tommorow as they are swimming to the top again for air.

ok i noticed this morning there are 1-2 spots on 3 other fish now. Is this part of the Ich gets worse before better part? Im doing everything by the book for heat and salt...its been 3 days since treatment began and today is the beginning of the 4th. Should i do another PWC and vacuum today?

Completely normal to see it appear on other fish. Read up on the life cycle here: Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish A PWC and vac is a good idea. It will help remove more of the parasite and provide clean water helping to avoid bacterial infections on the open wounds on the fish.

did another PWC today...now a new problem...ugh

I cant seem to be able to hold temp at 86. Its really cold here in NJ and my in water heater cant seem to hold. my room temp is low 70s and it gets up to 86 and as soon as it gets a bit colder my tank temp drops down to 84...is this going to affect me killing the ich at all?

did another PWC today...now a new problem...ugh I cant seem to be able to hold temp at 86. Its really cold here in NJ and my in water heater cant seem to hold. my room temp is low 70s and it gets up to 86 and as soon as it gets a bit colder my tank temp drops down to 84...is this going to affect me killing the ich at all?
Could be a problem if it keeps dropping. Try wrapping the tank with aluminum foil or styrofoam and towels. It will help hold in the heat. Has the tank got lids? Make sure they are all closed. If you can, bump up the room temp a touch also.

Could be a problem if it keeps dropping. Try wrapping the tank with aluminum foil or styrofoam and towels. It will help hold in the heat. Has the tank got lids? Make sure they are all closed. If you can, bump up the room temp a touch also.

it has a lid but it gets to below freezing here at night. wrap around the glass area?

Back
Top Bottom