ICH... Restocking... Kribensis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got over a case of the ICH and, tragically, I lost my most sensitive fish... my african knife fish and clown pleco. I think I either increased the heat too slowly allowing the ich to really go at them, or they were too susceptable to the meds. Oh well, it was my first try at fighting the disease and now I have some experience I guess.

Anyway, I need to restock my 38 gal and I was thinking about getting a pair of kribs to complement my butterfly's instead of another knife fish.

Anyone have any advice? Did you like your kribs? Should I expect boring/dull or personality/interesting?

TIA

How long did you treat the ick? And how long have you been "in the clear" ? I've heard ick can stay dormant for a while and that you are supposed to continue treatment for something like 9 days after. I don't know if that is entirely correct because I've never had to deal with ick (*knock on wood*). Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come by soon.

Ich can stay dormant for 9 days??? 8O

Well I did treat with heat/meds for a few days after all the spots were gone but not for 9. I'll start again today with just meds. Hopefully that will keep them from coming back.

I'm still interested in peoples thoughts on kribs. Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to add fish to my tank again. :roll:

:D Hi Feynman. There is an excellent article written by Allivymar on ich in the article section. Consider it required reading :wink: . It will help you understand the parasite and how to properly control it.

Kribs would be an excellent addition to your tank and are fascinating to watch. They can become quarrelsome around spawning time with each other.

Kribs are wonderful fish for that size tank. They are somewhat feisty but will almost definitely spawn for you if you get a pair. They do get nippy at spawning time but I've never seen any real damage dnoe, especially if they are the "feature" fish and they are kept with fish who do not compete for the same territory. I think they will be a very rewarding selection for you. They are also very tolerant of a wide range of water conditions, in terms of hardness and alkalinity.

I'd definitely assume you still have ich in the tank and would continue treatment for a week beyond the last "spot." Also read Allivymar's article - I agree it is required reading :)

Back
Top Bottom