Ich traveling on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible for ich to travel on live rock. The reason why I ask is because I will be getting my LR from a pet shop that uses it with their tanks.

I do not know if any of the fish have ich now (I don't think they do), but I am sure at least one or two did at one point (as with any pet shop).

Even if one of the fish (or more) had ich, would it be a bad decision to buy the LR?

Thanks!

It doesn't move via LR. I have higher concerns from new LR dealing with copper and such. I just always assume there is ich in my tank and make decisions surrounding such an assumption.

If u can Get it at a deal then by all means snatch it up. Put it in a rubbermaid with a powerhead and a heater for 8 weeks and you can be sure it's rid of any ich. Qt everything !!!

Oh, so instead of worrying about getting ich from LR, you think I should just make sure copper wasn't used with it? Thanks!

Also, if it can't travel on LR, can it travel on an arm that was moving rock around in a tank with ich, lol. The other day we were working with my 34g (which has ich) and then we worked in the bucket I use for all of my tanks.

Yes absolutely ich can be on LR...If its wet ich can hitch a ride..Remember ich needs fish to host and continue its cycle of life,but some cycles of its life include living in and on LR and in sand beds..My thinking is if its wet QT it..
The transferring of ich via an arm seems unlikely to me ,but you never know

How ich works is that it cists on the fish. Once it bursts, it goes into the sandbed until it is ready to cist and multiply again. Without fish, ich is nothing and dies off.

It doesn't instantly die off,,thats why we leave our tanks fallow for 6-8 weeks...Again,if its wet QT it(y)

Thanks everyone! I have another question. :)

If the ich hitched a ride, would I see the ich on the fish within the days/weeks following, or could it possibly wait a year or so to attach to the fish? Thanks!

It all depends on how your fishes health is..remember some healthy fish never show any signs of ich in an ich infested tank...It can also appear as a spot or 2 for as little as hours on the fish and you will never even notice it..Sounds to me( from your other threads too) that your doing the right thing to rid yourself of this pesky little bug so keep it up and take no short cuts

Sniperhank said:
How ich works is that it cists on the fish. Once it bursts, it goes into the sandbed until it is ready to cist and multiply again. Without fish, ich is nothing and dies off.

When the cyst falls off , it hatches, releasing a new wave which grow, start to swim and search for a new host. It's a 4-6 week cycle. At any stage it could be on the rock Even the cyst could fall off in the rock. How could you assume it is not a potential threat? Ich is one of the easiest things to defend against. It just takes a little caution and patience and ur fine

If redsea purchased this rock and put it in his display I'd bet my wife he'd have introduced ich in his system

Haha, probably, I have terrible luck with ich :(. Could I just put the LR in my display, leave it for 8 weeks, and then start adding fish?

redsea said:
Would I need to quarantine LR bought from Liveaquaria.com? It says it is already cured, and I doubt they keep it with fish.

Thanks.

Here is an example. :)
Saltwater Live Rock for Marine Aquariums: Fiji Standard Live Rock

I'm sure they don't intend to keep lr with fish, but they may be there and I doubt if one slipped in they would put any effort in removing it. They likely add new rock into the same tank. They are a business remember their first goal is to make money. Which is why I highly doubt they go through the procedures required to keep your display tank safe. It's good practice to qt everything

You don't "have" to qt anything. It's all for peace of mind and saving potential problems in the future.

Back
Top Bottom