Ich treatment & bubblers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aknight436

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know I have ich. I've lost 2 baby mollies that had white spots last night. Today I noticed a juvenile molly that had white spots & acting erratic. I went & bought API Super Ich Cure. I followed directions & took out the tank filter, added the treatment, then let the tank run normally (minus the filter). A couple hours later, I noticed that the blue color in the water was gone. I'm concerned that my 2 bubblers might have activated carbon in them & I didn't know. Should I retreat? I'm just 6hrs past the 1st treatment.

One of the active ingredients of your medication is malachite green, which is a green dye that has some antibacterial properties. This is where the colouration comes from. The water colouration does clear over time, i presume this is what you are seeing.

Your bubbler doesn't contain activated carbon unless its a product ive not seen or heard of before. Does it have something that holds a black granulated material that periodically needs replacing?

Nothing that needs replacing as far as I know but they have a hard black cylinder attached at the beginning of the hose line. That was what had me concerned. I've left the bubblers off just in case.

Like this? Its a diffuser plate, not carbon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210923-071232_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210923-071232_Samsung Internet.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 20
It's definitely not something like that. It's a small barrel that sits at the bottom of the bubbler. I just figured it out I think. It's at the end of the air hose line. I think it might be a way to direct the flow of air? It's at the end of the hose. Maybe diffuses the air somehow?

Thank you so much for all of your help. I am still very new with a fish tank & don't know enough of anything yet. You have been an immense help to me the past couple days. ��☺

Just wondering for the OP if dosing was as per instructions? Normally the change in water colour ime is pretty persistent (lasts days in mine and plenty of threads that note ornaments have colour change (from the dye)). Apart from the carbon as above posts, maybe tank high in organics or soil? might clear it but never tried. Was just curious.

Just wondering for the OP if dosing was as per instructions? Normally the change in water colour ime is pretty persistent (lasts days in mine and plenty of threads that note ornaments have colour change (from the dye)). Apart from the carbon as above posts, maybe tank high in organics or soil? might clear it but never tried. Was just curious.
I recently dosed a medication with malachite green and the colour dispersed after a few hours too. Waterlife myxazin - 1ml per 10 litres. Maybe different medications have different concentrations of active ingredient in it? Hospital tank, bare bottom. Just a basic filter with some established media in it, nothing else, not even a sponge. A fake plant.

Last edited:
I recently dosed a medication with malachite green and the colour dispersed after a few hours too. Waterlife myxazin - 1ml per 10 litres. Maybe different medications have different concentrations of active ingredient in it? Hospital tank, bare bottom. Just a basic filter with some established media in it, nothing else, not even a sponge. A fake plant.

Thanks! Learnt something new :)

Thanks! Learnt something new :)
Its quite possibly because of our medication laws. Maybe malachite green is only permissable upto a certain concentration? I just presumed that the colour faded as the colour dispersed more evenly through the water and just becomes less noticable. There is certainly no staining (except my fingers), the filter is white and there is no staining on there.

I was reading something about malachite green about a month back. I can see it going on the banned list here as the authorities dont like it being in general circulation in case it gets used for medicating people. Although that was more EU concerns which doesn't effect UK anymore.

Back
Top Bottom