ICH - What Is Best Treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobtrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gal. tank that's been set-up for about 4 months now and suddenly I have an outbreak of ICH. The tank houses Platies, Head-and-Tail Tetras and Pristella Tetras. The Platies seem to be the only ones that have any white spots on them at the present time. These are the original fish I had in the tank when I set it up and haven't added anything since. I've only lost one fish in that 4 month period, a Head-and-Tail Tetra. Not sure what happened with that fish as there were no signs of disease or any other warning signs that something was wrong.

Anyway, the fish have been doing great. That's why I was so surprised to see the ICH. I have an Emperor 280 on the tank, the temp. is kept at 76 degrees, I use plastic plants and feed a large variety of foods (no live foods). I haven't added any decorations since it was first set-up.

My question is what would be the best treatment for my situation? I would like to try raising the temp. to about 86 degrees and then adding salt, but I'm concerned about my fish being able to handle this. And what would be the recommended amount of salt? I would rather not use any type of medication if I can avoid it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The heat and salt method works very well. Tetras are said to not be able to tolerate it but I've done it with mine and all survived. You would add 1 tbsp salt per 5gal. You should raise the temp slowly (app 1-2 d per day) and treat the tank for 3-4 weeks to be sure to get rid of all the parasites.

Good luck.

Your fish should all be able to cope with the heat and salt treatment. Make sure there is plenty of surface agitation to allow oxygen to diffuse into the water :D

Back
Top Bottom