ich.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wonder8331

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know if it is possible for only 1 fish to have ich? Have 3 platy 2 angelfish 2 catfish but only 1 Raphael has ich. Treating the tank now only 2nd treatment but everyone else seems totally fine. The one that has it is new . And he's really small.

Could be a weaker fish. As long you are treat them on time. It,s good. I had it on 1 fish I did a heat treatment. And it was all fine. It did not spread out. Lucky me

If one has it then it is in the tank for everyone to get. I just got done with Ich. Only lost one of my 5 fish due to treatment. A lot of work and no fun, but still have most of my fish in the end.

Wonder8331 said:
Does anyone know if it is possible for only 1 fish to have ich? Have 3 platy 2 angelfish 2 catfish but only 1 Raphael has ich. Treating the tank now only 2nd treatment but everyone else seems totally fine. The one that has it is new . And he's really small.

How are you gonna treat it.

Treating ich does not require meds.
Raise the temp to 86-88F
Increase aeration
Increase gravel vacs and water changes
Leave heat up for a week after last spot is seen
You have to treat an entire tank for ich. It's not just the fish infected but the substrate and water.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
It is a food idea to have a quarantine tank for this reason.

+1

Don't be so quick to dose your tank with meds. For almost every illness, there is a natural cure.

I have lost so many fish to that nasty stuff, but I finally found a way to kill those buggers! Here is what I did (though you can omit the meds, but I personally was too afraid to do that).

*Raise temp to 85*F
*Add another airstone, as meds and higher temps make oxygen levels drop.
*I treated with Life Guard from Tetra
*Vacuum every other day to remove the parasites as they fall off the fish.

I have used this method twice now (adding new fish without quaretening first *doh*) and has worked like a charm. it may take two cycles of meds, depending on how bad it is. ;) GL!

Oh, on my Oscar tank, I used half the med dose since Cats can be sensitive to meds.

I just treated ich by raising the temp to 86 and adding aquarium salt. Worked great for my Oscar. It disappeared in about a week.

Back
Top Bottom