Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruceanthony

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright, I've had a few small fish die recently for no apparent reason. Upon closer inspection, I saw little white dots on some of my fish, so I'm pretty sure I have ich. This is my first experience with it. What's the best way to cure it? I've heard of raising the temperature and adding salt, but I'm afraid this may be harmful to some of the fish. Zebra danios for example don't like water over 75° or so. Any advice? Best chemical treatments? Thanks!

Sorry for your loss. Turn your temp up to 80-84 (higher temp for Danios is the lesser of the 2 evils between that and ich), and add medicine to specifically treat for ich. Look online for reviews, then buy locally to get started asap. Ich should go away within a week or so. Good luck!

I just added an api powder treatment and started upping the temperature. My plan is to raise it from 75 to 82. How slowly should I raise it?

Raising the temp to 82 won't make the ich die. It'll just speed up it's life cycle. You have to go significantly higher than 82, though I don't remember the exact temperature that's recommended.

Ich is tenacious if not treated properly. Good luck Bruce. Stick with the powder treatment and follow the directions and hopefully it'll work out.

Not faster than one degree per couple of hours. I had to deal with ich too. Kordon Rid ich plus worked magic! Even with a half dose (had to cut it in half cuz of my catfish)! Highly recommended!!!

Attachments

• image-1732835199.jpg
    image-1732835199.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 37
Mine all survived, no one died. Follow directions on the bottle, keep the temp lil high to speed up the process, add aquarium salt and an absolute must is DAILY partial water changes!!! Gravel vacuuming is very affective. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom