Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentamalia

Aquarium Advice Freak
My platy has a little tiny white dot on his tail fin. It wasn't there 2 days ago. Could this be ich? How do I treat it? I put him in a 10gal alone because I don't know what it is. Please help
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428268631.882915.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428273225.410484.jpg
Best I could get he's quick lol

Yeah, it looks like ICH. Here is what i would do. I would gradually raise the temperature of the tank to 86 degrees F. Leave the temp. at 86. WHEN ALL SIGNS OF ICH ARE GONE, leave the temperature at 86 for an additional 10-14 days to ensure the ICH is eradicated. Make sure that you aerate the tank because higher temperatures seem to diminish the oxygen in the water.

Fish Disease Index: Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. - Aquarium Advice

Will the higher heat affect my platy? He's the only one that had it but he was Ina. Tank with 4 other platy and 1 Molly but I moved him when I noticed it

Yes, the heat will affect him somewhat, but the ICH, if left untreated will eventually kill him.

Keep a close check on your other tank because chances are the ICH is in that tank also.

I went to the store and bought some ich treatment I'm going to treat both tanks

Ok but my heater doesn't have a dial to turn up the heat. It is automatically set at 78

I'm not sure I havnt read the container completely yet

No it just says dose every 24 hrs with a 25% water change each time

I'll try it hopefully it works!

bummer. Even with the meds you will need 82 degrees...right?

Lifting temp slightly is mainly to speed the life cycle up a bit while treating with meds. Means more chance of killing all the ich before repeat dosing. Aeration should increase with temp increase. So not strictly needed.

From some reading and ime ich meds can be very effective for the first 24hrs and then degrade rapidly/get soaked up by tank organics. This is for formaldehyde / MG in meds here where commonly repeat dose is after 3 days.

Update he is all better it's gone!!

Back
Top Bottom