Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is that white stuff on my seahorse ich? She's had it ever since I got her...IMG_0297.jpgIMG_0304.jpgIMG_0305.jpg

GO to seahorses.com. They raise many var. of sea horses and answer questions on sick seahorses and treatment.Thats what they specialize in. Sorry guys but better to go to the prof. on such a delicate sea creature.

That is a pretty tricky question. Can seahorses get ich. The last I read up on the topic, the answer is yes and no. You usually don't see cysts form on seahorses like you would normally see on other fish. This has something to do with their immune system or built in resistance to the parasite...though I don't remember the exacts after all these years. Even with that said, the ich parasite has been found in their gills and other places when tested...though this is all quite aged information as I don't keep sea horses.
So, with that said, no those aren't cysts from ich on your seahorses. I'd still be hyper vigilant due to there being issues in this tank if I'm remembering correctly.
With that said, the solution is always dilution. Water changes with ro/di water will keep parameters in line and pristine as to not stress out the delicate sea horses so that they will keep eating.

That is a pretty tricky question. Can seahorses get ich. The last I read up on the topic, the answer is yes and no. You usually don't see cysts form on seahorses like you would normally see on other fish. This has something to do with their immune system or built in resistance to the parasite...though I don't remember the exacts after all these years. Even with that said, the ich parasite has been found in their gills and other places when tested...though this is all quite aged information as I don't keep sea horses.
So, with that said, no those aren't cysts from ich on your seahorses. I'd still be hyper vigilant due to there being issues in this tank if I'm remembering correctly.
With that said, the solution is always dilution. Water changes with ro/di water will keep parameters in line and pristine as to not stress out the delicate sea horses so that they will keep eating.

Ok sounds good, she is doing great right now eatting, very active etc. I have been doing very regular water changes (I've done 3 this week) so everything is in good condition. I'm praying it isn't. She has had it on her ever since I've gotten her (abt 3 weeks ago) so I'm assuming that's not ich.

I just did some research and I believe the white spots are called "saddle markings". They seem to be common in the specific
species I have (lined) so I think she is ok!! I could be wrong but I believe that's what it is. Thanks for all the help everyone, and I will still be on the lookout for ich ;)

Back
Top Bottom