Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psybuster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I looked in my tank today, and I saw that 2 of my rasboras have 1 white spot on their tail fin, the other has 2. I'm not sure if it's ich or not, should I raise the temperature to 86* now?

nope, it's the first time i noticed it. the white spot(s) are just on the back fin
i read the ich article, but i'm still not sure. i just want to diagnose it before it gets out of hand.

I also have angel fish, cories cats, and sharks in the tank

My tank is 29 gallon
0 ammonia
5 nitrate
0 nitrite
80*F temp

I just did a PWC yesterday

are you currently cycling the tank??? your nitrites are rather high...very high...that could be stressing your fish...id try to get them down by doing often small water changes....ich spots look like grains of salt on the fish...

Your water parameters look fine to me. Have you recently added any new fish or plants? Like rich said, it'll look like sugar/salt sprinkles (but not neccesarily on the whole body). It can and will start as just one spot on the fish. If it looks like a salt grain, then it's ich, and I'd up your temperature.

If it looks like a thickish white bump, that is something different.

the last time i added a plant was about a month ago, i added some new fish about 2 weeks ago, other than that. nothign else was added.

edit:

as a precautionary matter, before it gets worse i did raise the temp to 86 (well it's at around 84* now [started at 82*]). I saw new white spots develop, i think i saw only 5 spots total throughout the 3 rasboras, but i rather have things not get worse.

as a precautionary matter, before it gets worse i did raise the temp to 86 (well it's at around 84* now [started at 82*]). I saw new white spots develop, i think i saw only 5 spots total throughout the 3 rasboras, but i rather have things not get worse.

2 weeks ago is recent enough. You are doing right by upping the temperature. Once it gets at 86, you'll see the ich go away quickly, but keep the temperature up for about 2 weeks after that, just to be sure.

i'm glad my fish all seem to be doing well despite the temp changes. I wouldn't be very happy if my room was at 86* :( The white spots are still there, not a single one more or less. The temp is at 86*, gonna raise it slightly more to 87*.

Back
Top Bottom