Ick in a coldwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Guppy tank size: How big a tank do guppies need? - Guppy Fish Care

6 guppies for a 6 gallon tank is fine guys very interesting how the link I was given said I couldn't even have one! It seems that everyone has an opinion but nobody actually can give a scientific reason for their opinion.

After reading loads of different sites and links I totally believe that 2 Corys and 2 guppies will not be too big a bio-load for my 26 litre tank especially since I've a strong filter with plenty of sponge surface area and real plants to help keep the water stable :cool:

That's a very typical response from someone that doesn't like what they hear. It's easy to search around on the internet and find a single place that says it's okay to do something when a multitude of others states that it is not. For the record the link you posted says 3g minimum for 1 and an additional gallon for each so your tank could support 3 going with these rules.

Recommended tank size:
20g
http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/To+The+Front+Page+.+Oh+god+I+can+feel+that_699a71_4925907.gif

20g
Female Blue Variegated Guppy, Guppies for Freshwater Aquariums | PetSolutions

10g
guppies - Tank Size

10g, 20g preferred
How to Keep Guppies Happy - Pets

10g
Care - Guppy Fish - The Best Aquarium Pet

3g
Guppy tank size: How big a tank do guppies need? - Guppy Fish Care

I could keep throwing links at you but I hope you get the point in this case. Proper research generally means throwing out the one that states something radically different from the others. I stated earlier that they might be okay in a 6g tank provided that there aren't any females. That is FAR from an ideal situation though. However That is an unacceptable tank size for the cory cats.

There is also a point that I don't think has been made in that it's not the bio filter that we are referring to in regards to minimum tank size. Instead we are talking about activity of the fish. Much like you wouldn't keep a dog in a crate for its entire life, you shouldn't keep a fish in a tank that's too small for its life either. This article is focused on large fish as that's the one that commonly has issues with this but the article is the same for all fish.

Stunted growth means stunted lives — Seriously Fish

But the fact that you don't seem to care at all means all of this was just a waste of my time.

Just in case anyone is ever looking at this for the original question I cured the ICH in my tank which everyone was saying it wasn't that it ammonia poisoning. I got my water tested and it was perfect. I followed the instructions on the medicine bottle and low and behold all the fish are fine and I've had no symptoms or white spots on any of my fish for 3 days. :lol:

The guy in the fish shop said do one more treatment at the next water change to be sure its fully gone but that if there's no signs of it for 3 days its most likely fine.:dance:

The guy in my fish shop also said that my tank is coping with the bio-load so it is fine and not cruel. Of course bigger would always be better but at least the water is good for them all.

I understand there are "ideals" but lets be honest the ideal is that the fish live free in the wild so anything is not actually ideal and we are all keeping fish for our enjoyment in reality so we are all comprising a little bit

Back
Top Bottom