Ick in the LFS tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florida8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Went today to see if they had any turbo snails and blue legs... was walking around while waiting and noticed numerous fish with ich. Their tanks are all connected..., most have the slots on each side from tank to tank for water flow, like an overflow box, does that mean they all pretty much have ick or can or will? I left with nothing because the thought of buying my 1st fish toting ick home didn't appeal to me... even if it would go in the qtank... still would PREFER to avoid it. :)

Thanks!

When i buy fish at the LFS, i just assume it has ich. If you qt it and it ends up not having it, then you're golden. Sometimes i buy fish from them before they put them into their system and then i'm not so worried, but still, treat every fish like it has ich. But you've made a good choice in not purchasing a fish that already has ich.

LOL, no, uhuh! I never tell anyone to use this CHAIN, although all their corals have been 40% off a while... I just needed a clean up crew and didnt want to wait for them to come through the mail... hahaha! So I went looking local and no one seemed to have many but them ... then I got the desire to get a fish and noticed the ich in tanks... only curious :)

Tomorrow I'm hitting the shops at the beach to get some snails :)

Seen anything good around town? I can't wait to get corals... I'm going to give it a couple weeks I think to make sure I'm all good :)

Yes they can carry parasites. You made a wise choice in not buying your snails there. The parasites will not bother them but they can be a carrier.

yeah... glad I didn't, I will start looking tomorrow at a few other places... just kinda of scary when all the tanks are one, just divided, what ever one has they all have I guess... kind of like my children, all 6 of them passing the cooties to the next sibling... no way to stop it.... LOLing! ;)

I make it a point to source out LFSs that do not have all of the tanks on one loop. the one I go to has every tank seperate with a HOB filter for each.

Back
Top Bottom